Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ha

A couple of weeks ago, I had went with my uncle to check out a van that was being auctioned off. He was looking to buy it for one of his restaurants he is opening up. It's a 1973 Chevy step van with a 350 and an auto transmission. He ended up getting a pretty good deal on it and we are going to fix a few things on it and clean it up. The whole body is aluminum except for a few fiberglass pieces on the nose that we will paint or wrap. He wanted to clean up the aluminum and maybe polish it a little bit to make it look better. A bunch of the trim pieces are going to be either repainted or may talk to Mike about powder coating some things. We are going to repaint the bumpers.

Mechanically, there are only two major things that we have to look into. Turns out the passenger side exhaust manifold has a nasty crack in it. When we went to look at it, it was running as we pulled up, but it died after idling for a few seconds.It was obviously had an exhaust leak, but they couldn't get it to start again while we were there actually looking at it, and I missed the giant crack in the center of the manifold. The other thing will be the brakes need to be gone through. It got really squirrely when getting on the brakes hard and pulled right hard. It is going to Raben later this week for tires and he may just have them go through the brakes while it is there.

I know nothing about carbs or the holy Chevy 350, so I got some learning to do, but it ran fine once we got some fresh gas in it, aside from the exhaust leak.
I do have one question right now, does anyone know if these manifolds were put on anything else or can all stock Chevy 350 manifolds work for a truck? am I better off trying to see if someone can weld that?

Here's a few pictures.

The first fill-up

The ****ed manifold

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
At least the manifold looks like it will be easy to replace

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
What kinda restaurant is this exactly?
:lmao

I would say the easiest way to fix a Chevy 350 is replace it with any ford engine! All joking aside, the manifold looks cast, so I would either look for a new one, or swap both out for a set of headers.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm pretty sure any truck manifold would fit it. The good thing is, there is so much room to work on this thing it's awesome.

·
Bo Baustin
13,134 Posts
:lmao

I would say the easiest way to fix a Chevy 350 is replace it with any ford engine! All joking aside, the manifold looks cast, so I would either look for a new one, or swap both out for a set of headers.
Roush Yates #079 D3 Ford 358 Racing Engine, Open Engine

Just do a minor engine swap, it will run properly, and the truck will pick up food and supplies much faster.

I see no downsides to this.

·
Administrator
33,198 Posts
i ****ing love box trucks

my parents bought one a couple of years ago. i have no idea why. when i asked they just said "because we didn't have one"

they call it the BAT, meaning big ass truck

---------- Post added at 01:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:12 AM ----------

actually just googled box truck. that's not a box truck. nevermind

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's considered a Chevy "step van". Came across these while googling

Reactions: BWAL

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
**** YES, do this now.
You should build it into a Sweet Tooth replica from Twisted Metal.

I would love to try and do either of them haha, but I don't think he's wanting to put thaaat much money into it.

For the record, he will be serving all kinds of his gelato that he makes out of this. The stuff is unreal. All of the ingredients are imported directly from Italy.

·
Registered
5,648 Posts
mmmm... that is a legit business plan, all he needs are coolers.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
He is going to have a generator to run the coolers/freezers with the van. The actual gelato shop will also have a some other menu items like a rotisserie, paninis (sp?), etc. Then on top of that restaurant, he is opening an Italian pizzeria as well. It will include a legit wood fire brick oven for the neapolitan pizzas, a self serving wine dispensing system, other italian dishes and stuff. The wine dispensing is operated by a card that the customer uses. It keeps track of the wines they have tried, ones they have liked, and will even recommend a style of wine based on their meal selection. It has different chambers that keep wine at different temperatures and can give the customer a sample, small pour, or large pour. Instead of wine going bad in a couple days after uncorking it, it will keep it fresh for weeks. It's pretty damn slick, from a company in Italy, and I know wasn't cheap.

He's even hired a tiny Italian guy to be the GM of the pizzeria. He moved here a month ago or so and is working with him develop the menus and all that business strategy ****. I can't wait for the places to open. The architect finally finished everything up a week or two ago and the bidding for the contractors closed yesterday so it won't be long.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts