Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out what all the PO did to my car before I had it.

The two pulleys in the middle, the silver ones, I can't find these anywhere. American Muscle has similar ones, but not for the 3.8... my alternator is not putting out enough power at idle under load, and I'm afraid they aren't the proper sizes. Definitely aren't the stockers..

·
El Torchy
4,706 Posts
Are you trying to get it back to it's stock condition? Cheapest route is the junkyard I would say...:dunno

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm just afraid they put something on that will affect the load on the alternator. If my alternator is not putting out enough amperage because it is failing, that's one t hing.. but if it is working properly and the issue lies with something like the pulleys being the wrong size, I don't want to waste my money replacing the alternator.

·
Registered
631 Posts
The crank pulley looks like a steeda one, the water pump looks like a standard light weight pulley. whats your voltage at idle?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Mr Pony... Ding ding ding! I have been trying to figure out my low voltage at idle issue.. Don't have a number yet but after 90 or so seconds at idle in drive I am dropping to the left side of the gauge until I get going. I always assumed t was the alternator until I realized "hey those aren't stock". Red, do you have the same issue with voltage?

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Nope. Do you have subs? I also set my idle I little higher.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Are you trying to get it back to it's stock condition? Cheapest route is the junkyard I would say...:dunno
You get junk at junk yards..

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
If you need stock pulleys, I have a set of stock pulleys and belt I'll trade you for yours.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm going to try and bump my idle up and see if that doesn't relieve the charging issue a little before I revert to stock but I'll keep it in mind.. I have an 800w amp, headlights have LEDs in them, chrome projector headlights (they have additional LEDs..), reverse glow gauges. I used to have a CB radio as well.. hah.

I really appreciate the help. Saved me the headache of installing a new alternator and not even resolving the issue.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
I really appreciate the help. Saved me the headache of installing a new alternator and not even resolving the issue.
The actual alternator installation wouldn't have been a part of the headache. I called into work one day because my alternator went out and I had to get it fixed so I could get to work the next day. Had the whole afternoon to do it, bummed a ride to get a new alternator, and found out our alternators can be changed in a whopping 10 minutes :eek:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paying for a remanufactured alternator, installing it, taking him my old one, then having to undo all of that when it didn't help anything would have been a PITA.. especially since I would have to take off from work to get up there. Oh yeeeeah.

Voltage at idle was 12.49v at battery. At 3000 or so, voltage was 13.52v. The idle voltage falls over the course of a few minutes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts