Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright here it is. My dad has a 96 gt with CAI, flowmaster's,70mm TB (not installed yet).Couple questions i have is what size MAf should he go with or the stock one would be fine or will it screw things up being stock with a larger Tb? Also the motor will stay NA, since headers will be next, woul you guys recommend long or short tube? And its an auto so 4:10's will be going in but not sure this summer, so my last question is when do you guys think a tune,programmer will be in need. Thanks for the help since i have a 91 and dont know much about mod motors.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
stock maf should be fine, as for headers everybody is gnna say longtubes especially if you have no emissions test were u live go with long tubes, once you think ur done with mods den that will be a good time for a tune, at least thats wat i did.

·
Rollin' 18/ pushin' 2
8,333 Posts
I would actually recommend a good set of shorties with an off road H or X pipe if he is staying na. Unless he is going to swap in some really good flowing heads with an agressive cam and a great intake then the stock maf will be fine. The 70mm TB will get him a lot better throttle response and is definately one of those mods you really notice a difference with. The 4.10's are a great gear choice with the auto tranny. I would recommend rebuilding the trac lok with a carbon fiber clutch pack while you are in there. As for the tune I would agree with waiting until he is done with the engine mods.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the reply's guys i appreciate it. I also talked to him about the P.I swap into his 96 will the tune be able to pick up the difference in heads and cams and intake swap? Not sure if he'll do it this year as well but by next summer or even the winter. He;s also worried about the emissions as well if he does the off road h pipe,will he pass? casue hes old, and doesn't want to swap out cats n such haha. what kind of shorties do you recommend?

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
if you have emission tests like we do here in cali, and you install a off road h-pipe you wont pass smog bro.

·
Mach1 FTW
2,223 Posts
headers on a bolt-on N/A engine i dont think will make much of a difference which way you go. i put shorty headers on my 4v when i swapped it in. its what i could afford and what i could find on the market at the time. as far as a MAF, leave the stock one alone. it will do plenty fine with your plans. i would do gears/tuner/TQ coverter in that order. if you really want it to take off, i see alot of auto guys recommend 4.30's

·
Still slow.
8,738 Posts
Long tube, you will get the most out of them, and depending on if you want sound or performance for you mid pipe. For performance x-pipe would be better but for sound wise in my opinion i find h-pipes better. If you have no emission testing get it O/R. Were i live i have to have 6 cats on my h pipe:( Also your MAF should be fine i would think. When you install the TB your car may run rough for a few minutes or so until the computer understands the change it should go back to normal. I'd also wait on the tune until he builds it up more.:)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
awesome thanks guys. i mean is it really necessary to swap out headers just with these minor bolt on's? how much can you get out of the stock ones before it gets too much for em? In that case i might just tell him to get a catted h-pipe,leave the headers alone and do the other mods.LGHTNG02GT ive told him about the TQ converter,but his idea is if he goes that route might as well rebuild the tranny, i told him not to rebuild it to it goes. how much can the auto trans take before you either need a rebuild or a upgrade? Thanks

·
Registered
164 Posts
The stock exhaust manifolds and stock trans can take Quite a bit before they are overpowered, a lot more than you can do N/A with these cars for the most part. I would highly recommend a better trans cooler along with the previously mentioned parts, the stock one isn't much and if it gets clogged up it can take out the trans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts