Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there any way to identify what my heads are? I've done some reading and the only thing I've come up with is that I would have to take them off and look in the combustion chamber for the casting number. Is that the only way? Is there any other way, any other numbers I could look for that could tell me what they are?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Is there any way to identify what my heads are? I've done some reading and the only thing I've come up with is that I would have to take them off and look in the combustion chamber for the casting number. Is that the only way? Is there any other way, any other numbers I could look for that could tell me what they are?
On some older heads you could find a number under the valve covers near the spring seats. Have you checked there yet?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I haven't pull the valve covers off yet. They are cast heads. I'm thinking they are the cast iron GT-40 heads off the Explorer cause I was told it has the Explorer intake on it as well as it has larger aftermarket injectors. 30 pounders I think.

-I bought the car as is, and the previous owner didn't have alot to tell me about it.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
If you can see the front of the heads, GT-40s will have 3 vertical bars on them and GT-40p's will have 4. Or look at the head casting itself by the #1 or #8 cylinder and it will say GT for GT-40 and GTP for GT-40p. If not then they aren't GT-40's. I'm sure there's casting numbers on them somewhere if they aren'' GT-40 heads that you can identify them with without removing them. If you see nothing on the outside, then pull the valve cover.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Alright, I appreciate it. I'll have to remove the valve cover. Can't see the front of the heads do to the alternator and power steering pump.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's weird. It shows the number 23 toward the front of the driver side head, and on the passenger side head it shows 22 at the rear of the head. So I assume these are not the GT-40 heads, but whats with the different numbers on the heads? This mean I have 2 different heads on my car?

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
I don't think they're different, but I don't really know much about factory ford windsor castings. If you pull the valve cover off and find part numbers this should help you figure out what they are.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It's not a major concern. I mainly wanted to know if they were Gt-40 heads or not. I don't see the "gt" on the heads so they appearently are not. I just got my car out to the track, and pulled a 12.77 1/4 time. I'm having trouble seeing that time with just cam, intake, and exhaust...nothing else would make such a difference. Though it does have alot of suspension.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright, the car does have suspension, but it's all been set up for autocross. Boxed lower a-arms, strut brace, k-member brace, subframe connectors, torque box reinforcements, adj. upper and lower rear control arms, stiff springs on all for corners, kyb shocks all the way around. 3.73 gears with 27x10.50x16 bias ply ET Streets.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pulled the valve cover...see the casting number 3E24...anyone know what they are?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I identified them. Pulled the head, E7TE...stock heads.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts