Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Mustang GT with light mods. (K&N cone air filter, MSD coil, and Flowmaster after cat exhaust.) When I start the car the rpms go to like 1250rpm and then come down to either 1000rpm (cold start) or like 700-800rpm (already warmed up). After about 10 seconds the check engine light starts to blink and the rpms go to 1500rpm and hold there without me touching the gas pedal. It does this for maybe 20-30 seconds and then almost dies, and then quickly regains the original 700-1000rpm.
This only happens after starting the car, regardless of the engine temp. Does anyone know what this is or how to fix it?

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
Remove the idle air control valve from the throttle body and clean it inside thoroughly with some carb cleaner. Allow it to dry or blow compressed air through it before you reinstall it. You can also clean the wiring harness contacts and apply some dielectric grease to them to keep moisture out.
Hope that works.

·
Registered
386 Posts
+1 to cleaning the IAC I would also clean the MAF sensor too and replace the ACT sensor. If your car has alot of miles on it these sensors are bound to be dirty or inop.

·
Registered
386 Posts
You'll have to take your throttle body off to clean the IAC. Try not to screw up the gasket when you take it off.

·
Resident Headbanger
2,419 Posts
You'll have to take your throttle body off to clean the IAC. Try not to screw up the gasket when you take it off.
You can pull the IAC from the TB by simply removing the two 5/16" bolts that hold it in place and disconnecting the wiring harness plug. The gasket should stay intact provided you do this carefully. It's an easy 10-minute job.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I just need the crappy New England weather to cooperate. I don't have a garage and it's been like less than 30 degrees out for about a month and the only days where it gets warm, it rains.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts