Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drove the car home about 90 min and when i start it up the idle doesnt drop below 2000. I was using the cruise control on the way home dont know if it is still holding the throttle open or something stupid like that. I was drivin for a while and when i slowed down to make a turn and pushed in the clutch the rpms stayed at 3000. so i shut the car off and started it back up and it was fine. I didnt use the cruise anymore after that and now its still running funky. Any ideas????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be the iac. I read in another thread that you can clean it. But it wasnt for the same issue im having.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Try cleaning the iac first just to see if that helps

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
First check the throttle body and cables for smooth operation. I had something like that happen on my truck when I was trying to sell it (on their test drive!). The cruise control wire had slightly come off the hook and was preventing the TB from closing. You should also look for a potential intake leak, check the IAC, and the TPS.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ill check it out later on today. the engine was too hot to mess with last night. i didnt hear a vacume leak. not that you always do.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Easy way to rule out the cruise is to just unhook the cable for it that goes to the throttle linkage. If the RPM stops sticking then the cruise unit or the throttle cable is for the cruise stuck.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
unplug the iac. Test the tps too tps can do it

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
yup, try and get .98 to .99

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
yup, try and get .98 to .99
You don't have to worry about that. Getting it to that exact figure is just a myth. If there's no TPS out of range code in the computer (code 23 and/or 53), it's set within spec. The EEC re-learns the TPS value every time you start up the car and if it sees it between .5 and 1.19v with the plate closed and 2.71v above that value when at WOT, you're fine. Just make sure it's got smooth operation inbetween those values with no irratic voltage spikes while opening or closing the throttle blade.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok guys so i got home and started it up to move it and it was fine. parked it, went outside to take a look at it and it started up fine. left it running and after about 5 min it jumped to 2k. so i disco the iac and runs fine disconnected. sits right around 1k. if i clean it where do i take it off at. just the little round part that it connects to or the whole thing off the throttle body?

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
2 bolts where it connects to the tp, take it out and clean it with carb cleaner. Still does it its bad, also **** with the screw, car should idle at 800

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So i cleaned it with brake cleaner. let it dry. it did calm the idle down. i took it out for a drive and after it got to opertating temp it started again. got to the point that it was at almost 3k and wouldnt drop. bad iac????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Lol. I meant I got the car for a good price. So after i cleaned the old one it ran ok for about five minutes and then did the same thing. I took it out for a drive and got in it a little. Not it missing on both banks it feels like. I put on a new iac and its still idleing high. Tps??? It still doesn't sound like there are any vacuum leaks.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
base idle reset in the sticky in the top of this forum

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok. Ill try that later this afternoon. Idk what happen with the missing. I know i need to gap my plugs down but wasnt having that issue before.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts