Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have efi and when its cold my car wont idle, (cold outside and the engine) so i have to sit there and pedal it a little for a couple of minutes until it stays running. also when im giving it throttle in the beginning it pops and backfires...and cranking it deff. takes longer than an efi motor should...anyone know what i should start looking for. also is all the vaccum brought together at the tree on the firewall?

thanks guys

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
sounds like something to do with the timing or firing order...something along that line

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ive heard different things about checking the timing im sure everyone but me knows how to

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
well you'll first have to get a timing light..make sure theres still a timing indicator on ur harmonic balancer..(get the tools before you attempt anything)

·
Registered
19 Posts
sounds more like a dirty MAF sensor or a bad IAC more than timing i would start with that first and then mess with timing ...

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is my iac located...also could this be vaccum

·
Registered
19 Posts
the IAC is on the throttle body faceing the front of the car its a round tube with a plug at the bottom ... sometimes u can just clean it out and make it run good 4awhile but that usually means the IAC is on its last leg .
um and for a vaccumleak yeah its possible but if it runs good after its warm and the idle stays where it should be when its warm it it doesnt sound like one .

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
I used the STP intake/ Throttle Body cleaner on mine and sprayed the hell out of the T/b and the intake. I then used electric cleaner and sprayed my MAF sensor. Then I remeoved the "breather filter" from under the pcv vale and I let that soak in soap and water for about 30 minutes scrubbing it with a toothbrush.

After I shook it dry, I sprayed some intake/tb cleaner like hell on it which removed the dirt, grim and other nasty **** off it until it looked like a new silver filter and replaced the pcv valve, and that plastic "cup" the pcv valve sits in.

Then I adjusted my idle just a tad and it runs great. You could try to do that in the process too. Make sure you have to vac leaks or open vac ports. Hell if you have to buy those cheap spectre port plugs then do so. I keep them for J.I.C. matters.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what are spectre port plus

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
apreciate all the help guys

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
what are spectre port plus

LOL that question made me laugh LOL... sorry, hard typing with 5 fingers on the right, four on the left because I got stiches on my index finger....

I meant Spectre port PLUGS. You know the red, black, blue and yellow plug covers that covers up vac ports like if you don't use all the ports from your vacuum tee on the mustang, you use one of those things to cover it up so you won't have a lack in vaccum.... Like the black one that ford already puts on one of the ports from the vac tee but they are colored differenty and vary in size.

Hell don't drown in my spectre bs... just try the other stuff I mentioned and double check if you have vacuum ports open, to close them, and double check for any vacuum leaks on from your hoses.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
yeah could very likely be a vaccum leak

·
Who Care's ... Boost It!
538 Posts
Tip, if you have not already done those steps and are going too... Do not drown the electrical stuff in electrical cleaner. A few squirts here, wait a bit and another fre squirts will be ok. Turn on your car and set the idle to 2k, spray the intake cleaner into the intake (WITH FILTER OFF) a few times and place the filter back on. Then bring your idle back down to where you want it. You can give your car a few shots of SeaFoam by spraying it in the intake or feeding the intake somehow. It will smoke like hell for about 5 minutes. When you see the smoke, set idle to 2000-2600rpm for about 2 minutes and let it back down(Don't kill the car). Once the smoke stops(It will), go get an oil change right then and there, don't "wait til' later", do it righ then.

You will have a clean de-carbonized engine

1 - 13 of 13 Posts