Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it safe to run at the track still? It seems fine under hard street driving, but just a last minute thought before i go tomorrow. Had a blown plug last summer that was repaired by ford with a heli coil kit..

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
If Ford did it then it should be a time sert not a heli coil and its fine, prob stronger than it was before

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
A helicoil is the best thread repair you can do besides drilling the hole and tapping new threads and putting in a bigger fastener. In the case of spark plugs, its the best you can do.

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
A helicoil is the best thread repair you can do besides drilling the hole and tapping new threads and putting in a bigger fastener. In the case of spark plugs, its the best you can do.
threading aluminum is kind of dirty. Aluminum threaded anything if not careful can strip and break the threads. I make and design a lot of parts out of aluminum and threading holes on it without a helicoil is just ......dirty :)

great thing about a helicoil is if you strip the thread you just remove the old thread and insert the new one. Although on an engine head I would probably remove the head because you have to pop the little tang at the bottom and thats probably not a good thing to be popping into the combustion chamber :D

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
yeah i agree, tapping aluminum is a bit messy and a bit sketch, but you still have to run the tap through it to put a helicoil in.

What ive always done when helicoiling F150 heads is put a nice glob of grease on the end of the tap while making the new threads and when i go to brake off the tab i put a nice glob of grease on the end of the punch. Not exactly sure fire but even if it does fall in youre no worse off than you were before. No sense in doing work you might not have to. Ive also been told to use a skinny needle nose pliers and work the tab back and forth to break it or grab the tab and give the pliers a good smack downward while still holding the tab, but i havent tried it, nor have a found a pliers skinny enough.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright thanks a lot guys, that was my only concern, hopefully everything works out tonight!

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
helicoils can blow out and arent the best way to do it. Theres a reason ford uses the time sert and not a heli coil. You can only put a few in before the head is trashed, do it once do it right.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts