Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so im highly considering throwing in the gears before my duals. Now, let's say i get the gears from AM, and a tlok?(somebody explain this), can i just have my local mustang performance place tune my car, or do i "have" to buy a tuner? .. thanks for any feedback
ps: what size/ratio is the best. thanks

·
Registered
2,178 Posts
You dont have to get your car tuned by a performance shop for gears. But a sct tuner from AM and have them tune it for the gears...it will be fine

by the way... a tlok will just make both back tires spin instead of a one wheel peel.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, so tlok is a must? w/o the tlock only one wheel will have the new increase, but with the tlock they will be equal or in synch? sorry if i sound dumb

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
A tlok is a differential that will deliver power to both rear wheels whenever it's possible. You currently have an open differential which basically just puts power to whichever of the rear wheels needs it. As for the tuner, you need it and I believe you may be able to change the gear ratio on the stock tune (you can select gear ratios with the tuner). If you buy the tuner from AM you get free basic tunes for life so you can get your car tuned for whatever you have done so far. You could also go with the speedo recalibrator but for an extra $180 you'll get a lot more out of the tuner.

For size, you need 7.5" (same for both the gears and the tlok). Ratio is up to you. Generally 3.73, 3.90, and 4.10 are good choices. Just remember, the higher you go the more top end speed you lose (although I don't expect you to be pushing your car to 140mph on the highway) and the better you will accelerate. In my opinion, a quick car is more fun than a fast car.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok mcqueen thanks a lot, so gears, tlock, and tuner... dang that's alot of coin, but hey.. you gotta pay to go fast huh.. haha, have you guys had these mods done, if so, how much was it all in the end? $

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
ok mcqueen thanks a lot, so gears, tlock, and tuner... dang that's alot of coin, but hey.. you gotta pay to go fast huh.. haha, have you guys had these mods done, if so, how much was it all in the end? $
Yep, I've got all of those. Prices were something like:

4.10 gears - $190
7.5" tlok - $210
Bearing/install kit - $80
SCT SF3 tuner - $380
Gear/tlok install - $350

Total - $1210

But man is it worth it. Going from 3.27 to 4.10 gears gave the car a real nice feel ;)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oh dang i bet. so you went w/ 410s, so does that mean you got more gettyup than the 373s.. and how much of a difference did you feel man, did you think you were driving a whole lot quicker car? i mean ik that may sound dumb.. but did it make a huge diff, like from the speedlight takeoff?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
oh dang i bet. so you went w/ 410s, so does that mean you got more gettyup than the 373s.. and how much of a difference did you feel man, did you think you were driving a whole lot quicker car? i mean ik that may sound dumb.. but did it make a huge diff, like from the speedlight takeoff?
Haha I wouldn't say it's a whole lot quicker, but it feels really nice. I don't really remember pushing my 3.27 gears very hard because I basically drove with them for 1 winter then upgraded to the 4.10s. And thanks to those I drive my car a lot harder. And yes, 4.10s have a little more gettyup that 3.73s.

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Yep, I've got all of those. Prices were something like:

4.10 gears - $190
7.5" tlok - $210
Bearing/install kit - $80
SCT SF3 tuner - $380
Gear/tlok install - $350

Total - $1210

But man is it worth it. Going from 3.27 to 4.10 gears gave the car a real nice feel ;)
Dayum.. I payed

8.8 - 250
Gears (4.11) - 150
Carbon clutches - 100
Master bearing kit - 90
Oil and FM - 25
Tuner - 150
Axle bearings and seal - 30
Housing bushings
Install - 0

total - 825

I also got Tubular Upper and lower CAs for 250

So all the costs for my current project (all listed above) is: 775

(8.8 and tuner I have had for a while)

·
Just Cheesin'
7,574 Posts
Where'd you get that tuner dirt cheap? Or was it not the usual SCT/Diablosport?
SCT SF3. I bought it off a guy from the next town over. He needed the cash and he just sold his stang. I traded it for a Predator though because I was planning on doing custom tuning, and the nearest place uses Diablo. Only good thing about it is I can advance and retard my timing.. I bought it about a year and a half ago back when I only had duals and a CAI.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts