Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ..heres the story..my car caught on fire..i let it sit for 2 years and now i am rebuilding it, I am pulling all the partsoff my lx and putting them into my gt. well i stripped the lx and junked it. allthe parts i need are now in the gt, including the steering column in which i swapped do to the steering wheel melting. well i realize i cannot get the key to turn in the ignition..i was thinking maybe the steering locked up or something. wll it just hit me last night, i belive i swapped the whole column..including ignition from my lx to my gt..which is y my key desnt work...because im still usuing my key to the gt..duh wtf...well i believe i threw the key when i junked the old lx...:( now i am wondering if i can get a number off the cylinder or if anyone can make a mold and cut a key from the inside of the cylinder or am i spending the $$$ for a whole new cylinder :( what a dumb ass. note to self..write down what parts u swap over when letting your car sit for 2 years..u tend to forge

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Take the cylinder out and take it to the locksmith. Saves them the trip of driving out and im sure it is much cheaper, but then youre driving back and forth. How much would it cost for them to mess with the lock and make a key? Depends on the locksmith really.

The only numbers on the cylinder i believe would probably be a part number if anything, and have nothing to do with the key itself. I have a new lock cylinder packed away somewhere, i can check it and the key for any matching numbers.

-- Found the lock cylinder and there is nothing linking the key to the cylinder as far as numbers go.

-- Just spoke to two Ford dealers and both said the only way to replace the key is to take the cylinder to a locksmith and have them tear it apart. I asked about matching numbers and was told Ford did not match cylinders with the keys on the older models. The only way to match them would be if it were a newer model that had a chip.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
If you get the lock cylinder out, just spend a few bucks at an autoparts store and get a new one, lol. Getting it out without the key is the fun part.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yea...i just seemed to notice u need the key to turn it to accessory to get it out...how is this done with out the key ??

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i was thinking the screw driver method like i was going to steal it..lol ... just jam it in the ignition and turn it. Where do you drill it out? is there a pin that u can only access when the key is to accessory?

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I believe he just drilled down the center to 'remove' all the teeth and other bs in there which then allowed the pin to be pushed in. He's never lost a key since, hahahha. Anyway, do you know anyone else with mustangs in your area? Ford only had so many key patterns, so between the mix/match of the door and ignition, it made them less likely to steal. My buddy and I have cars with matching door locks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thats the thing...i got the gt key to work in it but only once which is y i couldnt figure out wth was wrong..then it hit me i swapped columns...but i cant get it to work again no matter how hard and frustrated i get trying to turn it hahaha

1 - 8 of 8 Posts