Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so my car was starting fine and I upgraded to a MSD TFI coil, MSD cap and rotor and also motorcraft spark plugs gapped to .054. Now my car wont start and just turns over and I have already looked at the chilton manual and check the wiring and its wired correctly. Got a few ?'s. Do I put dielectric grease on the rotor and if so where and also are the 8mm wires that are on the car not enough to handle the new parts? They are just your standard replacement wires from prev owner. Im stumped on what could be the problem on this issue. Any suggestions????

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
no ideas huh?

·
Registered
650 Posts
.054 sounds like too much, I would gap them at .042. I've always ran 8.8mm wires, between that and your gap...that could be your problem.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
in the chilton guide it states .054.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
msd ive heard is the best lol, what else is there haha.

·
Registered
4,875 Posts
Tons of problems with MSD. Mallory seems to be a lot less problematic. Have you checked for spark at the plug wires? If so then put your stock parts back in one at a time till you find your problem. Start with the coil.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
put old coil on and it was worse.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it wouldnt turn over as good

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
If it's not your new coil and you have everything plugged back in and your rotor is on right (it should only fit one way)... My guess is your plug wires are on wrong, probably rotated one to the left or to the right.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thats what i was thinking, im gonna look it over again today after work.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cars running great now, had the one wire off by one, had to put old cap on then do it that way. Should be gettting my Ford racing 9mm wires anytime now!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts