Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
I Want A Good Speed Raping
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is good and bad. Leaves me in a dilemma.

Anyway so last tuesday my best friends car broke down on the way from a friends house. Didn't shut down just started acting weird. So we keep driving even tho the brakes and power stearing would go out. The engine would also keep getting hot.

So we get to my friends to drop him off and pop the hood. I see his serpentine belt is loose. (no biggy i know the power stearing, alternator, cooling system (not sure on right name ATM), power brakes, and something else. Are all run off that being tight and having grip. since it is in simple terms a big rubber band.

So i told him we just need to get a new one switch it out and be good. No problem maybe 2 hours of work.

O HELL NO 23 dollars for a new belt. 3.5 hours out in front of western auto and we can't get the damn thing on.

Learned a few things
First ask your friends if the engine is original or not. Because when you put a dual overhead cam (16 valve 4 beater) into a car thats not original its good to know. (needed a bigger serpentine belt).

Make sure the tensioner is working properly and NOT broken.

So in the end it wasn't just a loose belt. It was the fact the tensioner broke. Its no longer keeping tension on the belt and the alternator is not charging correctly and the brakes, power stearing will keep going out. (hasn't driven it since that day).

Learned more about cars and his car that day then i have in a while.

That felt so good to just get covered in oil trying to help fix a friends car EVEN THO we couldn't.

Then the weekend comes and my bro (who is in town from ND) asked what day i wanted to go to the range. Ive been dieing to go shooting since i left boy scouts and haven't had the chance.

He has 2 guns 1 revolver and one pistol. Both only hold 6 shots. The non revolver is a concealed carry pistol. I can't remember the name. I believe its S&W. its made of polimer and reminds me of the cricket from men in black.

Thats all so hows your guys week/couple of weeks going?

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
A belt is not a rubberband. They dont stretch and contract with tension (otherwise it would always be loose ). The tensioner should have been the first place you looked but I guess now you know this...

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
I'd comment about the whole car thing but I don't know much of anything about engine repair. Last couple weeks have been shitty though and I've been sick but I'm taking a trip with some friends to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic in April for some scuba diving so its all good.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
alright, Last thursday my friend was spposed to stay aat my house for a couple days cause his parents were outta town (keep in mind this had been planned for 3 months now) and he came over at 9 and i had my friend joel over. Well my friend walks in and doesnt say anything really, jsut sits down and say's man im really tired do you have any pop? so i said yeah, and he goes and gets some from the fridge. about 9:20 he say's "so i guess im going to my friend alex's house" i asked why and he said "I dont know my moms a bitch and she's probably high, its gay as ****" well this kid has a history of lying and hiding ****, so i get a phone call from his mom saying "i know you guys a miserable with him over so I'll have him go somewhere else" WHAT THE ****?! first off none of us are miserable, second I was so pissed off that he was sitting there texting his mother that we didn't want him over! so she texts my mom and says "evan (friend) felt left out and no one was saying anything to him." so my mom goes "so um did he even want to stay here" she straight up goes "no not really" bitch needs to grow up. i was now pissed at evan and his 13 year old PMSing mother. So i text him and say "the **** did you leave for?" and he says "i feel awkward round your family after doing drugs and getting a girl pregnant" well hell you should! but my family doesnt judge people we accept everyone no matter what they've done, everyone deserves a second chance. so i was like "it hurts that you straight up lied to your mom about everything and got up and left, your pathetic dude" he goes "you dont think im in pain??! it hurts to do that! we used to be friend now all we do is fight!" well gee Copernicus probably cause we never hang out and you pull **** like this. so i told him to **** off.

Sorry for the long story.... but on the bright side i ordered a short shifter and an X pipe AND have 1,000 dollars :) so life is good.

·
It's not easy being green!
4,893 Posts
Hmmm well I have been sloping around all week waiting for the weather back to get awesome. Sorta nice today and just back from Burger King for lunch. Eh same old same old.

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
V6 sig, FTW. i want burger king now :(

·
It's not easy being green!
4,893 Posts
haha thanks SN we have joined the zombie defense crew and the sig was done by serbiandude. he did a reallyyyyy good job on ours. and yes I had a nice whopper with fries and a dr. pepper. oh and picked up some cookies for a snack on the way home. :)

p.s. go the zombie thread in the club to get more details if you wanna join. I dont think there's a nebraska base commander yet?? idk...

·
That Regular Guy
10,393 Posts
i just stated that i was the commander for nebraska :yes

·
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went to DC bummed around town and partied my brains out :dunno
Don't remember it?

If not you had a good weekend. :lol

A belt is not a rubberband. They dont stretch and contract with tension (otherwise it would always be loose ). The tensioner should have been the first place you looked but I guess now you know this...
You have to remember FF i don't have a car to just mess around with or anything ATM. But yes i now know to check the tensioner.

I'd comment about the whole car thing but I don't know much of anything about engine repair. Last couple weeks have been shitty though and I've been sick but I'm taking a trip with some friends to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic in April for some scuba diving so its all good.
Yea that will be fun i went snorkeling down in the keys with my grand dad. He said he wants me to get scuba certified (you need to take these classes or something IDK) so we can go scuba diving.

·
Say When
4,987 Posts
Oh I remember it.. The day parts atleast. Some really cool **** at the Smithsonian. I don't remember anything after the first club though. but apparently we had a great night. Got some really nice pics and they are not of Abe lincoln :yes

·
Skirt Chasing Philanderer
14,391 Posts
You have to remember FF i don't have a car to just mess around with or anything ATM. But yes i now know to check the tensioner.
What does owning a car have to do with knowing how to work or diag them? I didnt have a car till I was 16 but could rebuild a 302 by myself by then. This was because I studied haynes manuals (pre-internet) and helped friends out.

If you want to know more than I suggest reading and studying. The internet provides a vast source of information with how tos and diagrams. Dont sit back and wait for something to break and learn as you go. If your really interested in knowing about cars and how to fix them then be proactive and study.

·
Fear The Rain... Butt...?
8,830 Posts
Chocolate, scuba diving is absolutely the most enjoyable thing, even more than driving my Mustang :eek: , that I've ever done. I've been 50+mph on a zipline over 600ft off of the ground but it still can't compare. Scuba is relaxing where as the zipline was just a pure adrenaline rush. I've been not 10 ft away from 20 ft Manta Rays, swum with sea turtles, touched sharks, ghille crawled 40 yards on a sand bank up to an extremely rare species of eel at 90ft down, been through caves and wrecked sunken ships, and looked straight up when I was 110ft down. Hell, I've even been diving in a buddy of mine's pool when he needed drain repairs but he couldn't hold his breath long enough to fix anything lol.

You do have to go through a class to get certified but it is very simple. I completed the course in 3 days in Hawaii. If you just google for a scuba shop nearby, you can get certified with minimal effort. The course and books and such were about $260 for me. Getting certified is something you will never regret though. (Make sure you get PADI certified though... There are other certifications but PADI is the only way to go.) A full set of scuba equipment can run up to or over a few thousand bucks but anywhere you go in the world will more than likely have rental for anything you need.

I don't know if anyone else on the forum is a diver but I do know they'd all agree that you should get certified if you can. You won't regret it, especially because you have family members that scuba dive.

·
13,304 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What does owning a car have to do with knowing how to work or diag them? I didnt have a car till I was 16 but could rebuild a 302 by myself by then. This was because I studied haynes manuals (pre-internet) and helped friends out.

If you want to know more than I suggest reading and studying. The internet provides a vast source of information with how tos and diagrams. Dont sit back and wait for something to break and learn as you go. If your really interested in knowing about cars and how to fix them then be proactive and study.
I have studied how the engine works. took me about 2 weeks to understand it reading 3 different web pages and looking at all the diagrams. But i know i have lots more to learn about just the motor. I understand the concept and how it works. Im a hands on guy. If i read about it ill understand the idea. If i work on it ill get the idea much faster and remember how to do it easier. Im a hands on learner.

I read up on stuff as often as i can.

Chocolate, scuba diving is absolutely the most enjoyable thing, even more than driving my Mustang :eek: , that I've ever done. I've been 50+mph on a zipline over 600ft off of the ground but it still can't compare. Scuba is relaxing where as the zipline was just a pure adrenaline rush. I've been not 10 ft away from 20 ft Manta Rays, swum with sea turtles, touched sharks, ghille crawled 40 yards on a sand bank up to an extremely rare species of eel at 90ft down, been through caves and wrecked sunken ships, and looked straight up when I was 110ft down. Hell, I've even been diving in a buddy of mine's pool when he needed drain repairs but he couldn't hold his breath long enough to fix anything lol.

You do have to go through a class to get certified but it is very simple. I completed the course in 3 days in Hawaii. If you just google for a scuba shop nearby, you can get certified with minimal effort. The course and books and such were about $260 for me. Getting certified is something you will never regret though. (Make sure you get PADI certified though... There are other certifications but PADI is the only way to go.) A full set of scuba equipment can run up to or over a few thousand bucks but anywhere you go in the world will more than likely have rental for anything you need.

I don't know if anyone else on the forum is a diver but I do know they'd all agree that you should get certified if you can. You won't regret it, especially because you have family members that scuba dive.
Yea it looks fun as hell. I don't have the money or time to get certified right now. I may take a trip to the keys late summer to see my grand parents and get certified there. Then borrow a set of gear from my grand dad.

Him and my cousin go lobstering. So thats why he got certified.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts