Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im stumped to death about my damn suspension problem.

so i start my car and when I turn my wheel to the right it creaks.

NEVER does it to the left, just the right. I have assumed my steering creaking is also connected to my suspension sqeaking, since when I was coming around a curve turning right, it made the steering creak as well as a constant squeak from the suspension.

Ive never noticed them together before because I like my 6 disc changer. lol

anyway, any idea what causes my steering to creak only when turned right? it also creaks just steering in park. I dont have to be driving. Im stumped and Its so damn annoying. I would take it to a shop but school has me short on money so Im asking you guys. :dunno

·
!FACEPLATED!
15,305 Posts
sounds like lower ball joint to me

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
What do you mean by creaking? Is it a whine sound? Does it sound like an old door? I need a better description of the sound to give good advice.

Could be a PS pump, could be your spindle, could be your steering rack, could be your end links. Give me a little more info, and I can give you a better answer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
it is not a whine. I had another car that did that. its more closer to the door creaking kind of sound.

mod97 GT ask me what you need to know. give me an example. Im having trouble describing the sound because it isnt exactly like a door creaking but it isnt the pump whining.

i get this sound from steering and i get a suspension squeak at times, and im pretty sure its the springs because it sounds like an old box spring matress. lol

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
rack bushings bad? letting the rack move back and forth mine does the same thing and my bushings in the rack are bad.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
My car has coil overs and every bump I take it squeaks, I took a look at the coil over springs and they are hitting the boot, they have actually damaged the thread on the coil over boot so I believe it has to be that. I was also told ball joints could be it so You should check those out

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
does anybody have a picture of the boot and ball joints? also zerk fittings????

My dad and i both went to lubricate the suspension and could not find a fiting to do it.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
My car has coil overs and every bump I take it squeaks, I took a look at the coil over springs and they are hitting the boot, they have actually damaged the thread on the coil over boot so I believe it has to be that. I was also told ball joints could be it so You should check those out

+1:yes

·
Carving corners
3,328 Posts
I had the same problem I bought a grease gun needle and I already had a grease gun. The gun, needle and grease are really cheap. I found the needle at Autozone no such luck at advanced. stick the needle in the ball joint boot AmericanMuscle.com - Customer Images - View and fill up the boot until you physically see the boot swell up, it will squeeze out the excess grease like the picture shows. Then there is a boot coming off the side of the steering rack http://www.alanhorvath.com/54chevy/chevypics/steering_rack.jpg , you have to break the one time clamp thats on it and pull back the boot you'll see a rod into a sleeve type of mechanism have someone turn the wheel so you can get an idea of how it works and put grease on the rod liberally and turn the wheel back and forth allowing the grease to get pushed into the cylinder and until the noise goes away. Your going to need a new clamp, hose clamp or you can use zip ties to put the boot back in its place. it keeps crap from going up into there. pretty easy and you can do it in 10 15 minutes. The car obviously needs to be on jack stands or ramps.

I had the same irratating noise turning to the left then it got worse when I exited and entered the car it would make a squeeking squaking noise did this and its been gone ever since. If I were you I would just do both sides that way you wont have to worry about if again for a long while. Hope this works for ya.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
^^ great info. Yeah, that sounds like that is what the sound would be.

It is unlikely its your actual spring as the springs are supposed to be covered by isolaters. And if its not, it would not move when you turn, only on bumps.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
one last thing.... whats the recommended grease to use in these fittings or does it matter really?

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
^ Yup. Really if you're on stock ball joints still, the boot itself maybe toast, thus it won't hold any grease even if you attempted to put more in. Take off the wheel and check it out, its at the bottom of the spindle. If the boot is ripped, cracked or worn at all, replace it. They are known to go out on Ford's near 100k miles.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will have to check it out.... i bought some water resistant marine grease so we will see how it goes. will i have to remove the wheel to gain access to all this??

·
MM's Official Lucifer
4,081 Posts
Makes it hella easier. If you raise the front end you could do it with wheel on...but I hope taking off the wheel isn't hard for you or anything. You'll need to take off the wheel to replace them for sure, but to just put in more grease no.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No its not hard for me to remove my wheel. Im a big boy.

I just didnt want to waste the time of doing so if its unnecessary. thanks again MineralGreyGT. +1

1 - 20 of 22 Posts