Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dropped in Hi-Tech stage 2 cams with a single follower and adjustable lifter in order to degree. Put chains on, released tensioners and attempted to rotate crank in order to first see if there was any binding or PTV and there was. The intake valve is striking the piston as soon as it begins to open.

Now, should I **** with grinding the key way of the stock cam gears or just go ahead and pick up some aftermarket adjustable gears since it appears I'll be retarding these cams! I'm also thinking screw it, placing them on Craigslist and ordering MHS stage 2's with their degree service... Next step?

·
Registered
205 Posts
Send the cams to mhs and have him degree them.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
what the canuck said

Reactions: MikeJones

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. However, looking back, I think the adjustable lifter (using 1 follower, adjustable lifter to degree the cams) may have been past zero lash causing the cam to seem "larger." Although when set to zero lash, I can not feel any PTV (I assume it would be noticable regardless of how deep) but preliminary degreeing shows 110* when the cam cards state 112*. Then again, my "zero lash" could be off because I just adjusted the lifter to the point where it holds the follower in place, and doesn't compress the spring. So maybe I messed that up.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Hate to bump this up...but since its already here.
i wanna use the Crank sprokets instead of the degreeing wheel . so is this the same as degreeing the cam ? i jsut want to retard the Hitech stage 2 cams by 2 degrees on both sides to install without PTV issues. is that all i need to do ? i can barely find info on how this works. thanks.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Crank gears work great, they retard the timing in 2 degree increments. Be sure to get them welded together or a roll pin installed when your done. This will insure you don't damage the key on the crank

·
MP T76
56 Posts
i have these cams ..

what i did is shaving a 1 or 0.5 mm from the valves i dont really remember
i dont have any ptv issue now
this may be not a good idea but its working for me

·
King Trashmouth
21,891 Posts
instead of spending so much money on some adjustable cam gears. You can get the adjustable crank sprockets.
Crank gears work great, they retard the timing in 2 degree increments. Be sure to get them welded together or a roll pin installed when your done. This will insure you don't damage the key on the crank
Yup. Get yourself some TFS adjustables. They were like $20 from Summit, got here in about 3 days. Worked like a charm, had them welded for $10.

Also I used the MMR solid lifter for degreeing. If you don't want to get that, set your cams to base circle and try to adjust it to zero lash, or slightly more with some feeler gages. More won't hurt since they're symmtrical and you're taking an average anyways.

And of course you 2v guys are more prone to PTV with stage 2 cams, so you may need to retard them up to 4 degrees.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Sounds great. because spending the time to degree just seemed cumbersome since im taking these back off again when i get some MM heads.

Thanks allot

1 - 11 of 11 Posts