Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some insight as this is odd and I'm hoping someone has dealt with or come across similar before.

1997 cobra. Stock except; msd wires, k&n filter, 4.10 gears, off road h-pipe, and SCT tune by Steeda.

Car has a hesitation, more so when it's cold at the 3250 rpm range where IMRC would open. When I check visually both sides open when cold or warm at the proper range. Cables are free moving and seem to function as they should.

Car has a slight pause when accelerating at this magic 3250 rpm. The odd part is I can hear a clicking coming from my PCM area in my passenger side kick panel when I pass this rpm it clicks when accelerating and decelerating past it.

I looked a day ago and it showed a p1516 and a p1519 I believe. It's why I checked the imrc but functioned as they should via test. I cleared codes and drove 100 miles since without any codes.

Car still has clicking noise and slight hesitation at 3250 rpm. Gets less when car once car is warm. I took car and put it back to stock tune and it still does it. Car actually seems to run the same with stock tune vs. Steeda set tune. Set with Steeda tune currently for my mods.

Last night I drove it hard and got these codes.
P0420
P1519
P1000

I'm planning to take out the IMRC and clean and ohm check the actuator. Is it possible there is a problem with the PCM causing the issues, not adjusting for tune and clicking?

Any ideas and help are appreciated.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The only think I can think of is doing a functional test with a bi-directional scanner and actuate the runners and see how many amps it pulls and see if it even works. Could be getting stuck on actuation.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you take the intake apart for the IMRC cleaning (recommended BTW), you can also test the IMRC controller off the car for proper responses.

Also, how are your battery voltages while driving? I ask, because I had a P0420 pop up and it was solved when I replaced an alternator that was going out. There were 3 ground connections that were loose as well. Apparently, the oxygen sensors can throw a code when low voltage/poor grounding is occurring.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you. I have since taken the IMRC apart and cleaned. All appear to be in proper working condition and tested OK. I have sent my Actuator out to be tested further just in case. I am limited on electronic testing so sent it to Accutach.

That's a great idea about checking grounds. On my last Fox body I cleaned up grounds and added additional and it made a big difference. The battery is new but I assume the alternator is original. The gauge reads normal and I haven't noticed any spikes but I'll have to test to be safe.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts