Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am going to start ordering parts to build my 5.4 soon and still have not decided to keep it 2v or get a set of 4v heads. Is there any clearance issues with the 4v heads? If there is no clearance issues with the 4v heads should i go with those or just stick with 2v and get a set of TFS heads? I plan on running a blower or turbo. and just out of curiousity, has anyone put the new 32v 5.0 in a 99-04 yet?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
would my 2v 4.6 harness and computer work with 4v top end? Also, do the heads clear the brake booster? and would they have to be navi heads or would 4v cobra heads or lincold mark 4v heads work?

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
2v heads dont flow very well. Get a navi motor, get in touch with birdman941 and replace the heads with 04+ C heads. Birdman makes a great kit for the swap that is very reasonably priced.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
k, i was under the impression that the TFS heads with good cams would work nice especially with boost, and the 2v create massive torque which could be nice on a street machine. The 4v still peaks my interest considering i can get good navi heads and cams for less than the TFS heads and make more power. my biggest concern is how it would clear everything. Will it clear the brake booser ok with the 4v heads? Im building a 94 ranger 4x4 with a 302 and keep running into snags and would like to avoid this with the stang.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
if you go with the 4v option, get normal C heads instead of navi heads that way you keep your intake options open.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
i guess it would really depend on how much power you want and how tight you are willing to make the motor into the engine bay. the 4v obviously will be EVEN tighter than the 2v due to the obvious increased size of them added on top of the added length of the motor. are you planning on forging it and making big power? if so then id probably suggest a 4v imo and below like 700hp probably 2v because if youre going to go all out then the 4v is a MUCH better platform to begin with. however the manifold can be a bit more tricky to get a hold of and might be a tad more costly. i dont think you should have to have any cowl hood unless you get a VERY tall manifold (dont think the aussie boss intakes are, neither are the sullivans to my recollection) or you desire a roots/screw supercharger

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the ultimate goal for me is fully forged and no less than 650 at the wheels, idealy i would like to be over 700, I have been pretty interested in the turbo 4v 5.4 lately or even compound boosed cars like the 1200 horse pump gas gt500 in mmff

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
650 wont be too hard with a 5.4. If you get a navigator motor with a forged crank, MMR will sell you manley rods and pistons along with all the goodies like rings and bearings for 1200ish and that will cover you to ~1000hp.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i got a low miles 99 5.4 2v block, from what i gather on here the 4v top end aughta bolt right up eh?

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
yep, 4v parts should bolt right up to it but before spending too much money price everything first to see if it wouldnt be cheaper to buy an entire motor. All the little stuff adds up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
its gettin fully forged guts anyway, navi heads i can get for 500 bucks

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
go 4v, dont even think about 2v then

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
its gettin fully forged guts anyway, navi heads i can get for 500 bucks
just a little more gets you 04+heads and those are better than navi heads. I would seriously recommend checking out different heads. If you are really stuck on navi heads ill sell my set off the 5.4 I bought for 100 + shipping. one of the heads needs the cam journals on one side cleaned up, seems like something that a machine shop should be able to do pretty easily.

Going with 04/05 C heads will get you a little more power and give you better intake options. Go over to corral.net and talk to birdman941, he can help you out with the 5.4 and give you all sorts of info that you cant really find googling.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
this may be a dumb question but what used the c heads from factory? or are they just cobra 4v heads?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts