Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, i have two bald tires on the rear of my 02 GT with stock 17x8 bullitts so i need to buy some new tires pretty soon. I have no mods on the car at all and before i even start i should go the safe route and get some new tires.

Any recommendations for what tires to go with. I wanna run wider tires on the rear but with the stock 17x8 on there i don't wanna push it to much. I heard a 275 fits on there but has some bulge which i don't want. Would a 255/45 for the rear be fine. What exactly is the difference between a 255/45 and 255/40? Is one better go with than the other if i'm gonna keep the stock 245/45's up front? I don't want any effects on the speedo whichever route i go.

I wanna run as wide as possible on my stock rim with no bulge so if anyone can give me recommendations i'd appreciate it. Also as for tires is there a best tire for road use, it's a daily driver and i want as much grip as possible in the rear. I was looking at the General exclaim UHP or BF Goodrich g-force sport. Anything better out there for what i wanna do. I'm in Los Angeles so wet traction isn't too high up on my list since it rarely rains here but some wet traction would be nice for the occasional times it does rain here. I'm looking to spend about $130 max per tire. Thanks guys

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
265 = 265mm wide
45 = 45% of 265mm wide is how tall the sidewall will be.

Hope thats kinda clear.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
EX: 250/50/18

sidewall height would be 125mm tall. (easy one) lol. rim is 18"

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
255/40 will have a shorter sidewall than the 255/45. Sorry for the 3 posts, didnt feel like editing.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
265 = 265mm wide
45 = 45% of 265mm wide is how tall the sidewall will be.

Hope thats kinda clear.
Yeah i'm familiar with what the numbers are i'm just curious if i were to get a 255 rear tire is there any difference between a 40 or 45 sidewall other than a lower profile with the 40? Sidewall sizes are the main thing that confuse me when it comes to buying tires? My first Mustang too so i've never bought tires for it so i don't know what tires are good and which aren't.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
either you know the numbers or the sidewall is confusing? which one. LOL. not sure what your asking i guess. Sidewall height will be whats different. ha

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
275 nitto 555s, they last longer than the 555rs and are still a good street tire

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
either you know the numbers or the sidewall is confusing? which one. LOL. not sure what your asking i guess. Sidewall height will be whats different. ha
Haha sorry for the confusion i guess i should be asking if theres any drawback to running different size sidewalls over another. So in my case i want to know if i'm running the stock 245/45/17 up front and if i get a 255 in the rear should i get a 40 or 45? Besides the lower profile of the 40 is there any drawbacks, performance or functionality wise. If there is any i'll just stick with the 245/45 in the rear to keep it the same size all around but if possible i wanna go wider.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
definitely would want a 45 over a 40. You wouldnt want your sidewall taller on your front tires would you?

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Man...I've ran a lot of street tires...except the nt555 ...but g-force surpasses them all... I wouldn't even mess with general... And man the 275's are fat...I love them...they hook up like no other...but if you don't want bulge I'd go with a skinnier one..maybe stock...the bfg's run wide

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
i would go 265/45/17 on the stock rears and 245 or 255/45/17's on the front.

I would even consider the 275 on the back personally.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
How come baker? I love mine...I love the fat look... I can't wait to get 10.5's and 315's :)

·
Registered
1,864 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I wanna try the nt05 with my 10.5's when I get them... But I know they're not going to last long...

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
How come baker? I love mine...I love the fat look... I can't wait to get 10.5's and 315's :)
I think you read my post wrong :). I said "personally, I WOULD even go 275". I love the fat look too as long as it stays in the jeans and not the waist.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Lmfao.... And yea I didn't read it right... Man g-force sports run wide...they look great... When I go to my 17x10.5 bullit in the back and 17x9 up front..I'm going to throw what's left of my rears to the front and grab me a set of them nt05's for the street... :)

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
get the right size tires! a tire that doesnt fit well is a tire that doesnt work. get 245/45/18 all the way around: A. so the fit and work B. so you can rotate

As far as aspect ration goes dont go with a thinner sidewall in the rear because your going to lose traction. there is a noticeable difference coming out of the hole between a 245/45/17 and a 245/40/17. Dont screw around trying to get a wider tire on a wheel that it wont fit properly onto. if you want wider tires then get wider rims.

As far as tire recommendations if your looking for the absolute best bang for your buck there is no question that the best tire is the BFG G-Force Sport tire. I have tried just about every popular tire out there on the front and on the back. Nitto 555s, BFG KDWs, BFG KWD2s, BFG G-Force Sports, Toyos, Eagles, and more. not only are the G-Force Sports some of the cheapest high performance tires around, but they out performed everything else. On a dry road the Sports were the best. In the rain they were pretty good too. But dont go buying tires based on how they r rated in rain and snow. You own a mustang... so you shouldnt be driving like an asshole when its raining or snowing because there is no tire that will save you from your own stupidity. The best combo ive experienced has been G-Force Sports in the rear and the KDW2 in the front.

Another helpful hint: if you go online at tirerack and get the pricing for a set of G-Force Sports you can go to NTB and they will match the tirerack.com price. Thats usually good for about a $50 savings per set of tires.

·
Premium Member
10,592 Posts
I love my g-force's(kdw), 275/40/17. they hook real well with my set-up
As far as tire recommendations if your looking for the absolute best bang for your buck there is no question that the best tire is the BFG G-Force Sport tire. I have tried just about every popular tire out there on the front and on the back. Nitto 555s, BFG KDWs, BFG KWD2s, BFG G-Force Sports, Toyos, Eagles, and more. not only are the G-Force Sports some of the cheapest high performance tires around, but they out performed everything else. On a dry road the Sports were the best. In the rain they were pretty good too. But dont go buying tires based on how they r rated in rain and snow. You own a mustang... so you shouldnt be driving like an asshole when its raining or snowing because there is no tire that will save you from your own stupidity. The best combo ive experienced has been G-Force Sports in the rear and the KDW2 in the front.

Another helpful hint: if you go online at tirerack and get the pricing for a set of G-Force Sports you can go to NTB and they will match the tirerack.com price. Thats usually good for about a $50 savings per set of tires.
How many miles do the G-Force tires usually run before needing replaced? I currently have Eagle F1s and love them but they're only going to last 20,000-25,000 miles.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts