Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i bought the car, in june, got the oil changed, check engine light came on had the guys who changed the oil read it. came up as bad cats.

fast forward to halloween i blow the head gaskets, i drop a 97 motor in it, i drive the car the first day its done it shuts off, battery light comes on, everything in car still works, lights,radio,etc.

Today i started the car from dead cold (sitting for about two hours) i drive up a hill it sputters, i come the the next stop light, it sputters and shuts off once again the battery light comes on, everything still works.

Alternator?

But now back to my catalytic converter question how long can i drive with them being bad before i blow this motor up, i can not leave the car idle if its started cold, it will shut off. if i gotta cut them out ill do it my i live in pa and my emissions is not due until august, the whole cross over pipe is about $800 but the cats alone are $200 i just dont have anybody to weld them in for me, i worry that at every stop light my cars gonna shut off on me. what can i do?

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
i bought the car, in june, got the oil changed, check engine light came on had the guys who changed the oil read it. came up as bad cats.

fast forward to halloween i blow the head gaskets, i drop a 97 motor in it, i drive the car the first day its done it shuts off, battery light comes on, everything in car still works, lights,radio,etc.

Today i started the car from dead cold (sitting for about two hours) i drive up a hill it sputters, i come the the next stop light, it sputters and shuts off once again the battery light comes on, everything still works.

Alternator?

But now back to my catalytic converter question how long can i drive with them being bad before i blow this motor up, i can not leave the car idle if its started cold, it will shut off. if i gotta cut them out ill do it my i live in pa and my emissions is not due until august, the whole cross over pipe is about $800 but the cats alone are $200 i just dont have anybody to weld them in for me, i worry that at every stop light my cars gonna shut off on me. what can i do?
Sputtering could be fuel pump. Or your timing. Gut the cats or maybe 02 sensors needs to be fixed.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your battery stays charged then it's not your alternator. With a bad alternator once your car dies, it stays dead until jump started. I'm not sure what causes it to die at idle, I don't know if it's related to your cats or not.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Does the battery light come on before it dies?what is the exact code

·
Registered
928 Posts
Also did you just drop the motor in I'm not sure if you're supposed to run the sensors from one or the other motor it might matter

·
Efficiency is Performance
1,214 Posts
Replace your 02sensors. Start from there, they may just be throwing off horrible air/fuel ratios. Cats are mainly for environmental reasons, not really for engine function.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
it shuts off while im driving it. that is not normal.
:facepalm:OK obviously you didn't read on what I wrote. I said when the engine is "off" the battery light should be on. "that is normal" As for the electrical part your engine can run off your alt. as long as alternator is not in the shiter.

·
Registered
390 Posts

Alternator?

if the batterys good a failed alt wont shut it down. is volt guage close to half or more when idleing? i would swap the front 02s with the back ones if it is original NTK 02s or unplug all 4 and see what6 changed. if you have a spare crank sensor try that quick and listen for uneven noise from fuel pump. check input wires at the coil pack. if you want to fix your own car you need a code reader. you can get them for around 50$

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Any chance your car feels like it has even less power that it had before? Difficulty accelerating?

Cats are mainly for environmental reasons, not really for engine function.
True, but clogged cats will **** up your world. My gf's Lincoln has 2 clogged cats. Exhaust psi is at 15 (should be 1.5). The car can't drive up hills, accelerates very slowly (even though it makes similar power to a NE GT), and once it hits highway speeds any hills makes her pull onto the shoulder to crawl up them at 20mph while the engine works as hard as it can. And that's why the Lincoln is hardparked for the time being.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
Any chance your car feels like it has even less power that it had before? Difficulty accelerating?

True, but clogged cats will **** up your world. My gf's Lincoln has 2 clogged cats. Exhaust psi is at 15 (should be 1.5). The car can't drive up hills, accelerates very slowly (even though it makes similar power to a NE GT), and once it hits highway speeds any hills makes her pull onto the shoulder to crawl up them at 20mph while the engine works as hard as it can. And that's why the Lincoln is hardparked for the time being.
Ls?

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

While accelerating at certain times it wont let me go past about 1500 rpm it feels Sluggish like it won't move. Also while driving i feel it loose power and it sort of like bogs out and slows down it actually did it today while I was coming home. I don't wanna hammer it because its working the motor faster and it can't breathe

I'm going to unbolt the cats this weekend then leave them off for a few hours and see if I notice any difference then if I do I'm getting a offroad h pipe.

Sent from my iPhone using AG Free

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Also another thing to check is the coil pack just to be safe

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App
its brand new. so are the plugs and wires, i just went to put gas into it and while i was turning a car the rpms went down to about 500, felt like it was going to shut off so i gave it a little gas and it didnt i video taped my 20 minute drive home and it acted up the whole way home.

watch until the 2:34 mark thats where it almost stalls out. if you wanna watch the hole video be my guess.

·
R.A.D
5,413 Posts
its brand new. so are the plugs and wires, i just went to put gas into it and while i was turning a car the rpms went down to about 500, felt like it was going to shut off so i gave it a little gas and it didnt i video taped my 20 minute drive home and it acted up the whole way home.

car. - YouTube watch until the 2:34 mark thats where it almost stalls out. if you wanna watch the hole video be my guess.
lol god dayum how long did it take you to upload it. Also THIS GIRL IS ON FIREEEEEEEEEE... fackin gai :bubba:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts