Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
there's a tech section?
19,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got these discolored patches on my taillights. It doesn't look like sun damage to me and I have kept 303 UV protectant on my trim since I bought it.

I've used Poorboys trim restorer on it, which does work, but it only lasted a day or two.
I've clayed it with absolutely no effect.
I've scrubbed it with a toothbrush.

They are unsightly when I look at the back of the car. :(
I'm out of ideas so short of painting them... anything else I can try?

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Im with Stevey, APC and scrub it again and see what happens.

What APC products do you have?

·
there's a tech section?
19,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They're aftermarket taillights. I have one suggestion that it was just cheap plastic and it is sun damage. I've just never seen sun damage like that.
But those have only been on my car for about a year and a half. At home the taillights are in shade 90% of the day and it's always been parked in a covered garage at work 40 hours a week. There's just no reason for them to be that bad.

I'll have to see what all I have. I wouldn't have that where I keep most of my stuff so I'm not sure.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I dont think its sun damage, the sun would make them all grey and faded. Thats brown.

Being on the back of your car makes me think its embedded dirt, the back of your car gets dirtier than any other part.

Give it a go with APC man, and a nice firm brush.

·
there's a tech section?
19,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That was what I thought and was why I gave it a go with the clay bar but it didn't get me anywhere.

I'll have to go through the cleaners. Hopefully we have something useful and I can give it a try again tonight.

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
Meguiars APC is cheap and if you are serious about detailing youll need APC for a few purposes.

MrPerple likes Zep cleaner (iirc) from homedepot, he said it works very well on tires and stuff. Just read up on dilution ratios on anything you try.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Meguiars APC is cheap and if you are serious about detailing youll need APC for a few purposes.

MrPerple likes Zep cleaner (iirc) from homedepot, he said it works very well on tires and stuff. Just read up on dilution ratios on anything you try.
I have been using Zep Citrus Degreaser with good results for a APC. I think he is using the Purple Stuff

·
Obsessed Detailer
8,609 Posts
I used Megs APC+ on some tires yesterday- undiluted.

Tires were soaking up water like they had never seen a dressing when i was done :)

·
Registered
5,842 Posts
That surface is textured. Painting textured surfaces (like that) will only be a temporary solution. At first they will look great, but then the not so great will come in due time.

Can you take some more pics of what I'm looking at (further back)? Sorry I don't know those years in and out like I do others.

·
there's a tech section?
19,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I haven't even been able to try anything yet but Friday night or over the weekend I'll be pulling them off for a good cleaning with some of what you've suggested.

This is the best photo I have on hand, HD. You can see the gross marks even from this.

The photo in my first post the trunk was open so you could see more.

·
Registered
73 Posts
i was just looking over this site and i work for a mercedes and porche dealer on the east coast try using a grease and tar solvent first then use black magics trim restore i think its called back to black this is common on black trim vehicles that should fix it i say it will need done once a year or so nothing in detailing a car is forever its only a for now thing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts