Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to know how you get the driveshaft off after unscrewing the 4 bolts????

·
Registered
314 Posts
Dude I'm not trying to be a smart ass but if your getting stumped by removing the driveshaft maybe you shouldn't be trying to remove the trans !

You remove the bolts and pull the driveshaft out of the tailshaft of the trans, thats it !

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok, well we have the 4 bolts at the diff end of the driveshaft unscrewed. the shaft seems to be rusted or something.. i've tried pushing it forward, backwards, and up and down, and nothing is giving? any ideas? my haynes manual doesn't say much about that, just about the 4 bolts?

·
Registered
135 Posts
Stick a prybar or screwdriver between the universal joint n diff n pry it toward then push it toward the front of the car to clear the diff then pull it out of the tranny.

·
Registered
508 Posts
few hits with a hammer should take care of it

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dude i tried tapping it with a hammer onto a screw driver between the u joint and diff and it worked! drive shaft is out, starting on the bellhousing bolts.

having a tough time with screws and almost stripping them, and it's tough reaching the higher-up bolts and maintaining good balance on the screw. any remedies for the higher up screws?

and do i have to lower the tranny and engine at all to reach those? i have some pieces of wood under the oil pan and the jack with a piece of wood right on the flattest part of the tranny. and is taking the starter off an absolute necessity?

·
Registered
998 Posts
a long extension from the bottom will help or jack the trans back up (don't have to bolt up) you can reach them from up top. I use a rachet wrench and don't ever have a problem.

If your using the long extrension remedy then yes you need to lower the trans down to get a good byte on them. Try not to have to use a 12pt socket or wrenches. Get a good 6 piont and have some fun. :)

Are you dropping an auto trans or 5-speed? Also, why are you dropping it? just wondering.

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
have fun with the starter bolts, there are 3 of them, use a long extention with a wiggle, and a shallow 13mm socket. go from the front of the motor and guide the socket on the starter bolts that way. also use the long extention and wiggle for the top bolts. once they are all out you will see a small slit at the bottom of the bell housing. i place the pry bar behind the flywheel and gently pry the trans loose so i can pull it out. also remember there are 3 diff size bolts that come out of the bell housing, 2 short ones on the bottom hold the dust shield on. the 2 long ones go where the guide dowls are. btw dont forget to unhook your battery when messing with the starter. its a easy job you can get it.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
First of all, there are NO SCREWS holding your tranny onto the engine, they are called BOLTS.

If you don't know the difference between a screw and a bolt, I feel sorry for your car!

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
oh man forgot to tell you to mark your drive shaft so you know which way it came out. sorry. if you have a vibration when your done installing your clutch rotate your drive shaft in 90 degrees untill the vibrations stop.

·
Registered
387 Posts
If you support the transmission with the floor jack and lower it slightly you get extra room to get the bell housing top bolts. And don't let that tranny roll on you on the way out, could do major damage.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
where exactly is the starter??

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
got past the starter, it actually wasn't that hard. i used a small socket behind the k member.

the top two bellhousing bolts are screwing with me. i can't get them off. i have the tranny hanging, i've tried jacking it up and trying from the front... NOTHING! its becoming slightly stripped also. what should i do?!!?! i have two 12' extensions... should i put another like 10 inch one on there?

help

and you guys should be more supportive. i saw what looked to be the starter, but read on other posts thru the search bar that said drivers side, so i decided to ask. isn't that what this forum is for?! come the **** on!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts