Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i started the job of changing cams in my car. First off; i'm using the afm tool and NOT degreeing them. They are comp 262s so they should be fine.

Now on to my question. Everything went pretty smooth but i'm worried about the chain tensioners. Am I right in thinking that everything is ok if I was able to put the new cams and cam gears back on without any issues. I assume if tool let the tensioners go then I would be unable to get the gears on the cams?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
So i started the job of changing cams in my car. First off; i'm using the afm tool and NOT degreeing them. They are comp 262s so they should be fine.

Now on to my question. Everything went pretty smooth but i'm worried about the chain tensioners. Am I right in thinking that everything is ok if I was able to put the new cams and cam gears back on without any issues. I assume if tool let the tensioners go then I would be unable to get the gears on the cams?
Never used the tool, but that is what i would think. Like stated turn engine over BY HAND!! to check for interference

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
definitely turning it over by hand before buttoning up everything. I know for sure the chain stayed in place on the gears so I'm certain the timing is correct.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just did the same job. As long as the cam gear doesn't fall out of the chain you'll be fine, but definitely turn the engine over by hand to check.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I plan on installing cams in the next few weeks, although I'll be degreeing them, I too have a question here... How evident is the interference for PTV when you crank it by hand? If just the tip of the valve is PTV, can you feel it? Is this retard proof?

·
Registered
3,719 Posts
I plan on installing cams in the next few weeks, although I'll be degreeing them, I too have a question here... How evident is the interference for PTV when you crank it by hand? If just the tip of the valve is PTV, can you feel it? Is this retard proof?
pretty much. make sure spark plugs are out and it should stop you from turning motor over by hand.

You can bend the valves by hand so you do have to pay attention when something does not feel right

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. As an FYI for anyone changing cams. Make sure you get cam bolts for your new cams. I had no idea Comp Cams uses a larger bolt.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts