Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my fuel gauge is stuck on F, I would love to wish that now I have infinite fuel, but the reality is that it is stuck. Has anyone had this happen to them before? I just filled up my car like normal, nothing unusual.

·
Registered
217 Posts
I wish my gas gauge did that and the tank was actually full mine always seems to be on the E

·
Registered
631 Posts
Did you try tapping the cover on the face to see if it would drop? Notice I said tap not beat on it, lol.

Edit: If that doesnt work then try this. Push the trip/odometer button in with the key off. Once pushed in turn the key to the on Position. This will put the cluster into diagnostic mode. You'll see a bunch of asterisk looking things. Let off of the button and push in again, this should put the gauge into a sweep mode. All your gauges should drop to zero and do a full sweep. If that doesnt work, I guess the friggn things broken. Continue to push the button over and over or just turn the key off to exit diagnostic mode.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Did you try tapping the cover on the face to see if it would drop? Notice I said tap not beat on it, lol.

Edit: If that doesnt work then try this. Push the trip/odometer button in with the key off. Once pushed in turn the key to the on Position. This will put the cluster into diagnostic mode. You'll see a bunch of asterisk looking things. Let off of the button and push in again, this should put the gauge into a sweep mode. All your gauges should drop to zero and do a full sweep. If that doesnt work, I guess the friggn things broken. Continue to push the button over and over or just turn the key off to exit diagnostic mode.
That's freakin' awesome! Does that work in a 2005 because that is a great troubleshooting tip!

·
Registered
631 Posts
does anyone know if the 96's had a diagnostic cluster option. And OP also think about the option that the fuel float might be stuck in the up position since the last fillup.

·
Registered
631 Posts
That's freakin' awesome! Does that work in a 2005 because that is a great troubleshooting tip!
It should, my 99 has it, and the 2005 F150 they gave me over here has it as well so i would think it would have it. Go out to your car and try it.

·
Registered
235 Posts
It should, my 99 has it, and the 2005 F150 they gave me over here has it as well so i would think it would have it. Go out to your car and try it.
I use the trip meter to keep track of fuel consumption. Instead of writing it down and adding another number, I'll try it next time I am at the gas station. Lol. Thanks for the tip though!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah all my gauges are analog so ill try it. But I didn't want to tap it then totally mess it up. But it wouldn't surprise me if the fuel float is just stuck.... car has 203K on it...

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yeah all my gauges are analog so ill try it. But I didn't want to tap it then totally mess it up. But it wouldn't surprise me if the fuel float is just stuck.... car has 203K on it...
^ Dont worry, My 99 had 218k on it when i parked it last year. Tapping lightly wont hurt your gauges at all, esp if its already broken. Highly doubtful prob just got stuck in the up position or the fuel float, i've seen both. I had to remove the plastic cover on my 98 eclipse just so that i could tap up on the speedometer, wouldnt work sometimes unless i was doing 50+.

@Silver Stallion 05, doing that wont clear your trip meter. You'd have to get out of diag mode and clear it regularly.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not worried about the mileage, I have another engine that I am rebuilding to drop in it. Anyways, just played with the fuel gauge and even when I had it a little before F when the ignition was turned on, it went to the full F position. So im pretty sure it is the fuel float. How do I go about fixing that? Would it be in the Haynes manual?

·
Registered
631 Posts
Relieve your fuel pressure, unplug the pump, drop the tank, remove the assembly, see if anythings crudded up around the float, move the assembly up and down a few times to make sure its not sticking. put it back in, pray to god it works, lol.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Haha Well it sounds like a project for my next set of days off. At least I have had it just long enough to know how many miles per tank I get!

·
Registered
631 Posts
It really doesnt take more than a few hours to do. While your back there, replace that old ass filter that only cost 12 bucks. Change the strainer to its like a buck and 1/2. If yours is like mine the fuel pump is breathing through a paper abg.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts