Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know some of these have been beat to death but I see many threads that disagree with each other. So I figured I would just ask on here and get it in one thread and get multiple opinions.

I'll be graduating this December and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go the termi route with lower payments or the 5.0 route with a warranty. My girl loves these things so she would also have fun with a 5.0.

1) Do you all have a lot of problems with your cars? I've seen a lot of threads on other forums talking about a ticking and the transmission going out at less than 6k miles. My buddy has to have a control arm bushing replaced and he has 1k miles on his. Is that a common problem?

2) Do you all have kids that fit in the back with seats? I have a Taurus I would keep but I'm just wondering.

3) Would you suggest buying used (<8k miles) if I got to keep the factory warranty? I thought maybe this would bring the payment down a little but I would have to check on a new one before I did this.

4) Does Ford fight warranties? The same people that had the ticking have been in huge battles with Ford getting this fixed.

5) Is it realistic to think I could get a premium with 3.73's for "AROUND" 350 a month with about a 10k down payment with the xplan?

If you think its stupid to ask these I'm sorry. I see noobs start threads like this but for me, its information I really need to know. I'm graduating soon and I just want to have time to think about the two before its time. I might come up with more questions later on but I just like to ask people that are experienced in it rather than talking to trolls.

·
Registered
599 Posts
1. trannys have been the major issue but some people have no issues...seems to be the luck of the draw

2. i can load 4 people in but thats not exactly comfortable

3.buying used would help you get closer to that number of 350 even with 10k down and figure 4k off with rebates your at 370ish at 60 months

4. depends on your dealer but it seems ford is not releaseing all the info on the trannys

5. yes prolly a bit higher then that though and interest and all that plays a roll ford has a payment calc on the site when you "build a car"

hope this answers some of your questions...thanks for spelling out what you want and not being a newb dbag like some of the people on here lately

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea I've been on here a while and it is annoying seeing some of the bull. I've done the payment calculator but I was just wondering if someone who had done this had a better idea then me since I'm still a little inexperienced.

Do you think there will be some TSB's out fixing this stuff? I kind of thought they would be rolling out by mid 2012 but it doesn't seem to be.

·
Registered
599 Posts
there have been several tsbs one of them is for the tranny and its just to change the fluid..its has had mixed results though and remember you also have tax, tittle, and lisc.

i was 20 when i bought mine but ive also got a bad habbit of geting a different car every year but it would help if you had somebody whos done this help you it can make a difference...and one thing i would not tolerate is a dealer treating you your age ive walked out of several dealers for pulling that...your there to buy a car no have them try and screw you

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
there have been several tsbs one of them is for the tranny and its just to change the fluid..its has had mixed results though and remember you also have tax, tittle, and lisc.
This was another reason I asked about the payment. The xplan takes a lot of the extra fee's out but obviously not those. I'll take my dad out there but he sucks at buying that stuff. I got his payments on his truck from 250 to 160. I just kept telling him "lets tell them we're leaving" lol

I really don't know what to expect but I have some time to think on it. That's why I'm doing it early.

And yea I have been treated like crap by many dealers when I tell them I want to just look at them and not buy that if they wanted to help someone else go ahead. They still get mad and smart off.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seriously back then I was not in any way going to buy the car and didn't want to act like I was. Thanks for the help man.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Having excellent credit will help you greatly with the interest rate. My credit is around 750. I bought a 2011 5.0 Premium with electronics pack and security. 373's and other stuff. Sticker was 40k. I got 2.9% interest for 72 months. I financed 37k which included taxes with no money down. Dealer gave me a very good deal.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Having excellent credit will help you greatly with the interest rate. My credit is around 750. I bought a 2011 5.0 Premium with electronics pack and security. 373's and other stuff. Sticker was 40k. I got 2.9% interest for 72 months. I financed 37k which included taxes with no money down. Dealer gave me a very good deal.
Yea good point. I have a near perfect credit score but no history of buying anything like this. The credit was built with a credit card. I could need a Co-signer.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I know some of these have been beat to death but I see many threads that disagree with each other. So I figured I would just ask on here and get it in one thread and get multiple opinions.

I'll be graduating this December and I'm trying to figure out if I want to go the termi route with lower payments or the 5.0 route with a warranty. My girl loves these things so she would also have fun with a 5.0.

1) Do you all have a lot of problems with your cars? I've seen a lot of threads on other forums talking about a ticking and the transmission going out at less than 6k miles. My buddy has to have a control arm bushing replaced and he has 1k miles on his. Is that a common problem?

No real problems personally with my car and I'm at 4600 miles. I know a lot of people have reported issues with the tranny/clutch, but, then again, I have to wonder what the percentage of issues is to the number of cars sold. Other than that, power, performance, ride quality, fit, finish, interior, looks I'd give all an A+!

2) Do you all have kids that fit in the back with seats? I have a Taurus I would keep but I'm just wondering.

No kids here, but I've had adults in the back seat and I'd say 2 small kids or 1 adult wound be ok with a short drive, under 1 hour; more than that though and I don't think it would be very comfortable.

3) Would you suggest buying used (<8k miles) if I got to keep the factory warranty? I thought maybe this would bring the payment down a little but I would have to check on a new one before I did this.

You could certainly try, but I haven't personally seen any 5.0s used yet, plus you would definitely limit your choices.

4) Does Ford fight warranties? The same people that had the ticking have been in huge battles with Ford getting this fixed.

Not that I've seen.
5) Is it realistic to think I could get a premium with 3.73's for "AROUND" 350 a month with about a 10k down payment with the xplan?

With 10k down, fo sho! A lot of factors go into that as well, but yea, I've seen Premiums on sale for ~30k, so 10k down would defintely get you in a nice, low payment like that, though probably for 5-6 years.

If you think its stupid to ask these I'm sorry. I see noobs start threads like this but for me, its information I really need to know. I'm graduating soon and I just want to have time to think about the two before its time. I might come up with more questions later on but I just like to ask people that are experienced in it rather than talking to trolls.
If you've got a girl though and two kids, or two kids on the way or whatever and you've got 10k, probably better to save that and get a good job and get established first, rather than rush out and get a new car.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have any kids but I was just thinking I could within the 5 years its payed off. Like I said, I have another car that would work and my girl is getting a 4 door. I just want to know if its impossible just for the info. Thanks a ton guys. This is helping me out.

·
Registered
305 Posts
If you or anyone in your family is military, try a credit union. I got 2.24% for 60 months on a 25k loan for a used car.

·
Registered
6,038 Posts

1. The manual transmission is garbage. Terrible. Avoid it. I've seen more with problems than without.

2. Don't have kids, but I've put a 6'3" 260lb man in the back of mine on a beach trip. Tight fit, but he made it just fine.

3. If someone is selling theres with less than 8k miles this early in the game they are wanting to make the car someone else's problem. Avoid them.

4. This seems dealership dependant. Mine is fighting mine and I'm one step away from hiring a lawyer.

5. Maybe on a 7 year loan or more, but not likely. I'm paying $415/mo with 9K down on mine, 6 year loan at 4.49% through Army Aviation Federal Credit Union.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Yea good point. I have a near perfect credit score but no history of buying anything like this. The credit was built with a credit card. I could need a Co-signer.
When I bought my Camaro last year I had this problem. I did the whole Ramsey thing about 10 years ago. While I had 700+ credit the only thing I had financed in the last 6 years was a 15k dodge truck. I prequalified for anything short of a z-06 but when it came time for the banks to say yes, they all said no. Highest anyone would go was 28k with the reason of no prior finance history of this amount. Finally got one credit union to go 32k and I paid the rest in cash with 13% interest.

Fast forward 14 months. I am way right side up on the Camaro but no one will refinance. I owed roughly about 27k on it with making extra payments each month. Had a lot of problems with it anyway and the last argument with the dealer brought me to the Ford dealership. Lets just say in one year I had established myself again and got the Mustang for hundreds less a month then the Camaro and lowered my IR to 3%. I also lowered my credit rating but no idea how that works..

Cliff Notes:
Your going to pay for that 5.0 for at least a year. It's seems to be harder to get refinanced than financed.

Reactions: Nossit

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
1. The manual transmission is garbage. Terrible. Avoid it. I've seen more with problems than without.

2. Don't have kids, but I've put a 6'3" 260lb man in the back of mine on a beach trip. Tight fit, but he made it just fine.

3. If someone is selling theres with less than 8k miles this early in the game they are wanting to make the car someone else's problem. Avoid them.

4. This seems dealership dependant. Mine is fighting mine and I'm one step away from hiring a lawyer.

5. Maybe on a 7 year loan or more, but not likely. I'm paying $415/mo with 9K down on mine, 6 year loan at 4.49% through Army Aviation Federal Credit Union.
1. What kind of problems are they having? I only want a 6 speed. If I have to get an auto, I would probably just keep my car. Isn't Ford fixing these problems?

3. Thats what I was thinking. With the x plan and all those rebates, I'm looking at only benefitting from this by about 3k dollars.

4. Can you go to another dealer?

5. If this happens, I'll probably just save some more money for a down payment or see if Ford ever does a low percent financing thing again.

·
Yes, I am your Daddy
983 Posts
1. I have the manual, 373 gears, premium package, with 401a, brembos, elec/navi, glass roof, and have no problems. Sounds like its a whipple tranny though,but shifts smooth, not sticky, and never had any issues at all.

2. Ive fit my 6 foot 220 lbs brother in the back. he fit ok.. bumped his head a few times.

3. Look around for a used one maybe. could be a little cheaper. Mine was 43k msrp, got it for 36.6, 10k down with a great credit score and Im paying under $400 a month.

4. Look around and online for the best dealer. Check out reviews and what people say about them. if a dealer has crappy reviews = crappy dealer. If a dealer has good reviews = good dealer. Also when you go shopping for it, get to see how the dealer feels. Talk to them, check out the service dept, ask about the warranty, and what can void it.

5. Back to answer 3, but if you were to find one for lets say $30k otd, with your 10k, with 4.49% at 5 years, your looking at 372 a month. For a 6 year loan at same rates it would be $317. So pretty much, try to finance around $20k.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have 13k miles on mine now, I dog it everyday like i have with all my previous mustangs. I wouldn't worry about tranny issues because ford will fix it, you may just have to argue with them. Overall I am thrilled with the car. Drivetrain warranty is good for 60k miles so i think you are safe. Buy the car have fun and beat it up!!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Remember that happy customers don't always go to forums and post. For every post about issues there are probably 9 other people that have no issues. I have no problems. I got my Premium for 30.5 out the door. 6k trade in and 1500 rebate got my payments to 425. Biggest problem I have had is all the cool stuff you can bolt on to make power. My checking account hates me.

·
Registered
2,592 Posts
not everyone has had problems with the transmission.. mine is perfect so far but it only has 480 miles. im sure that there are people that confuse the retarded skip shift with a transmission problem. the cars are fun tho.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts