Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright,

I'm new to this so please be gentle. I've been shopping around and wanted to know what all of you thought at first glance from this ad? I'm going tomorrow to check this 5.0 out with a buddy of mine who's a mechanic. What would you suggest I look for/ask question about beyond the obvious chit-chat? Do you think the price is right? Any input is appreciated.

90 Mustang 5.0

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Check this out first.
Collector Car Insurance - Get a quote

Click on 'Does my vehicle qualify' on the left. Take a look at the first two on the popup to see if this will effect anything. My take is the owner has it stored in a garage and doesnt drive it eveyday. I could be wrong. Ive never dealt with Haggerty.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haggerty

I spoke with the guy about the insurance and he said he doesn't use it as a daily driver and is only selling it to repair his roof. Seems like a legit guy, (he also mentioned he was a pastor at a local church) so I don't think he's trying to swindle anything.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Hmmmmm. Its odd that the add says it has smoke gray interior, wnen 90-92 mustangs had titanium gray. And when i look at the picks it has black interior

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I'm guessing the dude doesn't know the interior color is really supposed to be considered black (charcoal). Looks like legit interior, so that's a plus as it's more desireable. Just look around at it really good for tell tale signs of actual mileage. Just remember, there is no '1' spot for 100k in these cars. The exterior obviously looks good as it was repainted, so just look down the body for straightness, lines matching up, etc. And remember, something is only worth as much as someone is willing to pay. If you like it, buy it, but always negotiate it down. Most private party people will follow a 10% rule subconsciously. So try and get it down to 6 or less if you want it. Initial impression looks good to me.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Ryan and FastStand beat me to the interior comment. Another point would be to assess what you want out of the car - it's not heavily modified, and if the details are true, I'd put it in more of a "collector's car" status than a "weekend hot rod" (although a true collector's car would be bone stone, and while this is close, it's not exactly stock). If that's what you're after, then great. But if you want something with a ton of power that'll smoke the tires all day long, then your $6,500 could be spent elsewhere and get a lot more (at least from a speed perspective - maybe not as pretty).

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,965 Posts
That seems pretty strong on the price imho. As mentioned, Im also skeptical of the mileage. Being a preacher just means he,ll ask for forgiveness after screwing you, again, jmho.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Holy chit!

I pad 2100$ for mine and all it needed was a pilot/throw out bearing and a paint job. Doing all that I would have been well below 6500....Plus my car had 62k on it when I bought it. Plus it had a cold air intake, full exhaust and under drive pulleys.

I would offer 4500 if you really want it.

Sent from my galaxy s II

·
85 GT convertible
660 Posts
In my experience I have arreted ordainded ministers for shop lifting, and even know cops who have commited fraud. Forget he is a minister and treat him like a regular guy. I also think the car, being so stock and plain, is over priced by a large margin. It looks to be a good car but I would offer him maybe $4500, then walk away if he doesn't take it. Everyone thinks they're sitting on a gold mine. Fox bodies are all over right now. You'll find another to your liking.

Jerry

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
I honestly was going to put 45 in my original post, but I didn't want to get flamed for being a tightass. That's where I'd have to be on it. Mine was a 70k car, mostly stock with this paint when I bought it. 5k is what I paid and I paid too much, but had to have it. Foxes aren't so plentiful up here for non rusty stuff.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yea its probably not worth $6500, in my opinion $5000 would seem fair depending on the undercarriage and straightness. Odds are he is trying to recover some cost from the paint job. People do not realize how much it costs to properly repaint a car...

·
Registered
26 Posts
$6500?? No way dude. The black on black is desirable but that price is high. Make sure it hasn't been wrecked, drive it around for awhile and make sure it doesn't overheat, make sure it feels solid. Don't impulse buy. Got mine for $4500, exterior 9/10 and interior 8/10

1 - 16 of 16 Posts