Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From all you homies that have installed a converter/trans go kit, how long did it take you? I plan on installing this over the coming weekend, I know for just a converter swap i could have it done in a few hours, but not sure how long the shift kit takes, never done one of those.

I may be able to take my car to my work on saturday to work on it, then i'd have access to a hoist, trans jack, etc. only downfall would be i'd only have between 10-4 to work on it which i'm not sure would be enough time to get it all done in time.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Use the shop time to swap the converter out. The shift kit can be done pretty easily in a couple hours on jack stands.
I would much rather do it all at the same time so i dont have to replace fluid twice.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
while it could be done in 6 hours without too much of a problem, if your limited to 10-4 I'd just do it at home.

both installs are very straight forward, but you don't know what problems might creep up since you've never had the car appart before.

since you'll be doing this in the car, make it easy on your self & pick up a tub of this, Dr. Tranny Assemblee Goo to help in reassembling the trans/valve body.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
If it all goes smoothly, you should be able to get them both done in that amount of time.....I'm just saying make sure you do the converter first just in case you run out of time.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yeah i'm just gonna do it at home i'm thinking. I've never pulled a trans out of a mustang before, have done a few crown vics which i can get out in just over an hour. I'm assuming other than the crossmember these are the same.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
yeah i'm just gonna do it at home i'm thinking. I've never pulled a trans out of a mustang before, have done a few crown vics which i can get out in just over an hour. I'm assuming other than the crossmember these are the same.
pretty much but you have to drop the mid pipe.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
Very simple to get the trans out. What I did was remove the trans brace, tilt the trans back and get the top bolts out first using about 2' of extensions going over top of the trans.

As for the converter just make sure the hub seats all the way back into the pump gear. I had a helluvea time getting mine to seat all the way due to the hub being .005 larger than the gear(had to dremel the hub down a little to get it to seat fully). And mine clicked 3 times before it was in all the way.

good luck

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
pretty much but you have to drop the mid pipe.
yeah i figured. with it not being many bolts holding in my exhaust i was just gonna drop it anyways even if it wasn't necessary.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
Very simple to get the trans out. What I did was remove the trans brace, tilt the trans back and get the top bolts out first using about 2' of extensions going over top of the trans.

As for the converter just make sure the hub seats all the way back into the pump gear. I had a helluvea time getting mine to seat all the way due to the hub being .005 larger than the gear(had to dremel the hub down a little to get it to seat fully). And mine clicked 3 times before it was in all the way.

good luck
good point about the clearance. it is very common for these trans/converters & quite often you'll have to "persuade" them into place.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

good luck
if i have to grind anything on this converter i'm gonna be insanely pissed. lol.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
if i have to grind anything on this converter i'm gonna be insanely pissed. lol.
you shouldn't have to grind anything on a Dirty Dog converter, but it may well be very, very tight.

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
haha, yeah I was quite pissed when I had to remove the pump cover to find out why this converter would seat, but these things happen sometimes. Be prepared for anything.

btw... the .005 I had to shave off is about the size of a human hair.

·
Registered
3,405 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
best to also order these,

4R70W Transmission hard wired internal harness 4R70W transmission parts

4R70W case connector 4R70W transmission parts

they are very often damaged when removing & are the cause of most "why wouln't my trans shift after I put a shift kit/etc in" threads.

also PATC's #10a 2-3 accumulator spring is a good idea (it's about half way down the page).
AODE AODE 4R70W 4R70W AOD Mustang Parts, aode aode 4r70w Transmission
would the electrical parts out of an 03 crown vic be the same? weve got one of those just sitting at the shop that i could snatch the parts off just in case.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
would the electrical parts out of an 03 crown vic be the same? weve got one of those just sitting at the shop that i could snatch the parts off just in case.
they should be the same.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts