Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11,947 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When i scheduled the installation of these long tubes the guy at the shop said i would need new motor mounts becuase lt's never fit. I told this to seth at brenspeed who said that i do not need new motor mounts and that the engine has to be left in the same place for the headers to fit and function properly.

Anyone have any feedback on this.

·
Registered
660 Posts
There is absolutely no reason why they wouldnt fit on your stock mounts, I installed my longtubes while my stock mounts were in and had no issues, I have since then went with the steeda race mounts and still have no issues, the after market mounts drop your engine an inch and a half max. Besides you ought to go for the install yourself, its really not that bad just time consuming is all.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
i think emay said something about this and that it would fit better without the new motor mounts.

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
Lee is right, the long tubes were designed to fit on the car as is, on stock mounts.

There isn't a clearance issue if you choose the mounts, it's just tighter (less room) lower in the chassis. For lowered folks, ground clearance becomes an issue when lowering motor mounts are used..

Either way you can do it any way you want. Be sure to tell your installer that they were designed to bolt right in, with oem mounts.. Not sure where he got his info.

Lastly, really think about doing them yourself if your mildly capable. The savings is well worth it..

·
Registered
379 Posts
how much ground clearance is there if you use the lowering mounts and the car is lowered? i was thinking about doing the mounts when i do my headers which will be in about a month or 2 but def don't want to run into clearance issues if i lower in the future

·
May 08 ROTM
7,192 Posts
The headers then are just below the frame rails which leaves them exposed a bit. Numerous people are getting away with it, but it's something you have to pay attention to. Speed bumps and larger imperfections need to be negotiated much more carefully. When the front wheels come off the bump, the suspension will compress if you go too quickly and now you have exhaust connecting with the concrete.

·
Registered
379 Posts
ahh ok. do the prothane motor mounts lower it to this degree or would they be safe with a lowered car? i believe they make prothanes as well that don't lower it or am i mistaken? also, how much of a drop on the suspension would you need to worry about this happening? i would only drop ~1 inch if i lowered mine

1 - 9 of 9 Posts