Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a 70mm Accufab Throttle Body and Plenum and now my idling rpm's r rediculously high! With the clutch engaged my rpm's is right at 2000! Do i need a tune? americanmuscle.com (where i bought it from) said that the tb+plenum was a direct bolt on and didnt require a tune....
how do i get my rpm's normall again?!?! HELP:(

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
Check the tps if you have a tuner that will read live data such as the diablo....chances are the set screw/ whatever some may call it is off.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery for 5-7 minutes during or after the install?
This will reset the KAM (Keep Alive Memory) and force the PCM to relearn the idle air trims.

Make sure the throttle cable is operating freely and not binding, make sure the throttle plate is closing so that the bell crank saddle is contacting the stop screw (see the photo in the link below).

You may have to reset the throttle stop screw to the proper setting--here is the procedure for doing so...

·
June 2010 ROTM
1,913 Posts
Exactly what they said..

Check cable, and the TPS.

If you dont have a OBDII reader, now would be a good time to buy one. I bought one for about 69 bucks, and its more than paid for itself.

I removed my TPS once, reinstalled it, and had problems. Bought a new one for like 23 bucks, all problems went away. I think they can break easily.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
mine did the same thing until i got it tuned but i have a blower and all. I had to take it back off and put it on the next time i went to the tuner.

·
Procrastinator
4,558 Posts
easy fix, there is a bolt that is used as a stop for the throttle cable bracket thing, find it and a screw driver or whatever. Take your intake off, or do whatever so you can see and play with that bolt until the throttle body closes all the way.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
^Ding dinggggggggg

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Back that nut off and its a allen head, turn it till your desired rpms, mine is set at 600 so i can hear that exhaust :)

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
^that is not always it.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Most likely is and if not that then the TPS,

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
my screw was backed all the way off and it was still revving like retarded! The IAC is going to let it idle however it is told to. Mine had to be tuned to it for some reason. Ive heard of MANY not needing a tune but i did for some reason!

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Ya thats super weird but im sure it was because of the blower.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
The stop screw is NOT an idle adjustment, is is there to hold the throttle plate open jus a bit and allow some air to bleed through. The PCM then controls the flow through the IAC to maintain the programmed idle speed.

The throttle stop screw needs to be adjusted via this procedure and then left alone, idle speed changes are made in the tune.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
^exactly... The computer is going to idle how it is told regardless of that screw!

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Well i bumped my idle up there with it and thats where it idles, thats how I do my racing gokarts, adjust the throttle shaft idle screw, works on mine so :)

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Start the engine to check idle speed, if too high turn the crew anti-clockwise in small increments (1/16 turn) until the idle speed is as you like; if too low then turn the screw clockwise in small increments;

You can set the idle with it,if the butterfly is open and cant close thats where its going to idle.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
The OP hasn't posted so he must of figured it out, If not set that screw like it says and unhook your battery and it will be good to go

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
when i put my trickflow kit on it did the same thing but i just backed out the screw tell i got the idle i wanted and so the throttle plate dont stick

·
Registered
968 Posts
when you did this combo, did your throttle "stick" from an idle? I also had the high idle problem but i got a tune and set the idle for 650 or so, but then I adjusted the allen screw to help with the sticking at idle. Did you have that problem?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Clean your IAC also check your vaccum hoses.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts