Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my GT take off mufflers on Saturday, for a set of MAC Mufflers that were barely used and FREE!:eek:

I have a friend that has a 4.0 mustang and has the MAC's on his and they sound awesome, so when I was offered the mufflers for free from another friend I pounced on the offer.

Man do I regret it! The DRONE is so bad I cant hear myself think. From outside the car they do sound awesome. I just cant live like this, so Im going to put the GT mufflers back on today.

Just thought I'd share :tomato

·
Registered
541 Posts
yea id like to see a vid also.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weren't on the car long enough to post a vid!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
GT mufflers FTW when it comes to the 4.0! The saying "you don't appreciate what you have till you lose it" fits here! The horrible drone and loss of back pressure (our car needs back pressure) wasn't worth it IMO, glad to have my GT takeoffs back on!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Man. I was actually gonna put a mac cat-back on mine with a prochamber, LT headers and hi flo cats. Drone i've read goes away. As they break in. It's really bad? I might have to rethink my plan.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Good to know. I always liked the sound of MACs but never knew the drone was that bad

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Man. I was actually gonna put a mac cat-back on mine with a prochamber, LT headers and hi flo cats. Drone i've read goes away. As they break in. It's really bad? I might have to rethink my plan.
Mufflers definitely change as you break them in, but a muffler that has drone from new will have drone when broken in too. When I got the GT take off mufflers a year ago my car sounded like a G35 Coupe, they got deeper tone now and sound good. And most important IMO no drone

In regards to the MAC's they sound great on the outside, my friend has had his for a long time and says he just deals with the drone. I couldn't take it after 2 days. Also like I said earlier, there was a difference in performance because of the loss of back pressure.

So it came down to Slower, better sounding car with lots of drone, or nice sounding, better performance with no drone. The latter won hands down.

·
Registered
584 Posts
So it came down to Slower, better sounding car with lots of drone, or nice sounding, better performance with no drone. The latter won hands down.
Exactly. I think I'll stick with my GT takeoffs

·
Registered
316 Posts
I got ford racing stingers and they have definitely changed in tone for the better i still have my gt take offs sitting in the garage tho i kept them just in case i didn't like the stingers. The first week or two the drone inside the car was obnoxious to a point where it would ruin my conversation or train of thought. But after awhile either they adjusted and became better or i just got used to them but theyre not bad at all now and they sound much better than the gts.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got ford racing stingers and they have definitely changed in tone for the better i still have my gt take offs sitting in the garage tho i kept them just in case i didn't like the stingers. The first week or two the drone inside the car was obnoxious to a point where it would ruin my conversation or train of thought. But after awhile either they adjusted and became better or i just got used to them but theyre not bad at all now and they sound much better than the gts.
I dont have the patience to listen to all that drone, I guess I'm spoiled by the lack of drone the GT's offer or being 39 years old and understand that the V6 will never sound like a V8, and even if it did it isnt worth listening to drone:no

1 - 11 of 11 Posts