Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've had an Autometer cobalt A/F wideband and a mechanical boost/vacuum gauge sitting in my house for over a month now, I just had to wait until I installed my supercharger. Between work and school I finally got some time this evening to tackle it.

I did a lot of reading and trying to look up info on the wiring, as I am a complete rookie at that, and that took more time than the actual install.

I had a bung wielded in just above the driver-side cat. I took the pipe to the muffler shop and he charged me $15. I ran the wideband sensor from the bung up to the driver side grommet that is behind the driver-side front wheel. Just pop of your wheel well cover closest to the door and you will see it. This is also where I ran my vacuum/boost nylon line.

To power the wideband gauge, I bought a mini add-a-circuit from a nearby autoshop and tapped into the fuzebox in the passenger-side kick panel (this seemed to be the most popular choice). It was very easy, I picked an open slot and added a 10 fuze to the add-a-circuit. I ran my red wire (power) from the gauge pod behind the radio (there is a nice gap that is easily accessible), up behind my glove box, and down to the kick panel. For ground, I did the exact same thing, except when you open your passenger door, on the side of the dash is a small panel that you can reach from inside the glovebox to push out, there are two excellent grounding bolts there. I ran my ground for the vacuum/boost gauge to the other bolt here.

To power the vacuum/boost gauge, I piggybacked on the dimmer switch next to the head light switch. I pulled the cluster out and tapped the black wire with a white stripe. This enables the gauge to light up when I turn on my parking or head lights, and the dash dimmer also will dim the gauge.

I fired it up and had an immediate smile! I love the blue glow of the gauges, and I plan on doing a full blue LED swap for my interior very soon, so they will fit nicely. Here are some pics of exact locations I used.

The location of my Wideband bung

Grommet location behind clutch

Attaching to the rheostat (Dimmer switch), cluster pops right out by pulling out and downward.

Ground location

Add-a-circuit on Passenger kick panel. I chose an open slot and added a 10 fuze to the add-a-circuit, you can see it pointing perpendicular to the other fuzes.

And the finished product!!

Hope this makes it a little easier for whoever reads this. All this info is out there, but I couldn't find pics specific to 05-09 that had it all condensed together. Considering its my first time to ever run wiring inside my car, its a very easy install that anyone should be able to do themselves and save some cash!

AND, since I just put my GT500 splitter on, I figured I would throw a couple shots up of it on the car too! Next up are the fog light/break duct bezel that go in the lower inserts. They are sitting under my garage in a box eating at me,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Well done! Thanks for posting this info - as now when I add gauges to my pillar, I know where to run wires and what to tap to power them!

Reactions: Apexodus

·
Your Resident Badass
4,199 Posts
Very sick, ill most likely do exactly as you did once I throw on the Whipple.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
RZN, on the splitter, I couldn't really find anything online about how to make it fit flush, so I left the middle raised section in place and cut the left and right side down so that it was flush with the bumper lip. So its a smooth flat splitter from the wheel wells to the middle, but at the middle the plastic matrix is still raised up and fills the gap in center of the bumper. I used a skill saw and a dremel lol.

·
Hey Everybody, Come See How Hard I Parked!
13,873 Posts
RZN, on the splitter, I couldn't really find anything online about how to make it fit flush, so I left the middle raised section in place and cut the left and right side down so that it was flush with the bumper lip. So its a smooth flat splitter from the wheel wells to the middle, but at the middle the plastic matrix is still raised up and fills the gap in center of the bumper. I used a skill saw and a dremel lol.
Did you look at what I did you make mine fit?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I sent you a PM about what you did, and I remember you saying you were going to post some pictures on the forums, but I never got to see them. Link it to me.

I'm going to be taking some pictures with a real camera this weekend after I get a chance to really clean the car up. I'll post some better shots with the splitter then.

·
13,873 Posts
I posted in my makeover thead the modifications I had to make to the splitter for it to fit nice. Did you look in there. Link is in my sig.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
LOL that thing is over 18 pages long! I must have missed it, but I've looked at the thread cause your car is sick as hell, and we are doing some similar things so I was interested in how yours turned out. Good job on everything btw, one of the best mustangs I have seen, period.

·
13,873 Posts
LOL that thing is over 18 pages long! I must have missed it, but I've looked at the thread cause your car is sick as hell, and we are doing some similar things so I was interested in how yours turned out. Good job on everything btw, one of the best mustangs I have seen, period.
well leave the comment in my thread and bump me :D. Thanks btw. I can't wait until my hood comes!

·
13,873 Posts
Your splitter looks good too. Its a pretty simple install. Mine in the middle is 3 3/4 in of the ground. How about yours!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks man. I'm not lowered, but its still only about 5 inches (I have to back into every parking spot now). Where I live there are just too many spots that would spell disaster for a dropped mustang!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts