Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys recently installed at Trickflow stage 1 cam on my mustang with GT40p heads. Put it all back together and I have steam coming from what seems to be between block and heads. I used ARP head bolts. Taken it down 3 times, changed gaskets, followed torque procedures and im still having the issue. Is there something i could be over looking? I used Fel-pro gaskets for everything. There is coolant in oil. Any thoughts? Doesn't seem to be coming out my tailpipes. Just where the heads sit on the block area.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Did you get the heads checked and decked before install? Your head gaskets are not sealed.

·
Registered
756 Posts
With head gaskets cleanliness is VERY important, once you have scraped all residual off, cleaned it several times with degreaser, wiped it with a lint free cloth you cannot touch it at all. If you accidentally touch either machined surface with your hand or fingers before setting the gasket you may as well stop and reclean. Any little oily residue is a potential leak, maybe not right away but down the road as well.

You really should get your heads planed for flatness.

Did you remove the bolts in a particular order or just take them out?

·
Registered
756 Posts
To lessen the chance of warping the head you should remove the bolts in the torquing sequence.

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
With head gaskets cleanliness is VERY important, once you have scraped all residual off, cleaned it several times with degreaser, wiped it with a lint free cloth you cannot touch it at all. If you accidentally touch either machined surface with your hand or fingers before setting the gasket you may as well stop and reclean. Any little oily residue is a potential leak, maybe not right away but down the road as well.

You really should get your heads planed for flatness.

Did you remove the bolts in a particular order or just take them out?
Very well said. I thought I was alone in my ocd cleanliness.

Op, what is the part number on the gasket you are using?

·
mr. chokebot
749 Posts
Also if the head gasket is up side down, I have seen some wierd things happen.
Yeah, ports can get blocked off.

Also, a minute amount of human skin oil isn't going to affect a gasket surface. I handle blocks, heads and gaskets with my bare hands during every build, it's not a big deal. Wipe the surfaces clean, yes, but you don't need to treat it like you're handling the mona lisa.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I think you need to explain what you actually did from the beginning .

You changed the cam only , and then got steam from underneath the heads ??

Or you changed the cam and heads , and you got the steam ??

Please say what you did from the beginning .

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think you need to explain what you actually did from the beginning .

You changed the cam only , and then got steam from underneath the heads ??

Or you changed the cam and heads , and you got the steam ??

Please say what you did from the beginning .
Sorry guys haven't been around to update for holidays. Okay engine was fine before I tore everything off. Intake,heads, accessories, water pump,timing cover etc. Removed cam. Installed Trickflow cam. Put everything else back on. Only "new" part was the cam. Same heads as before. Which were fine...After I torqued everything to spec started it up and I get steam from between block and heads. And I have coolant in the oil. I have the heads off again. Will try again next few days after work. The gaskets were on correctly also.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I'm no expert, so take it for what it is.

In your original post, you mentioned that you have coolant in your oil? You also mentioned steam coming from around where the heads meet the block. So, to me, theres not going to be an easy way to fix this. I can't tell you exactly what went wrong, but it sounds like the same thing as a blown headgasket. So I'm thinking either the gaskets werent put on correctly, or there was some damage that you didnt notice to the head gaskets. Somethings allowing water into your oil you know what I mean?

I know I'm probably telling you what you don't want to hear, but if it were me, I'm thinking your only way out is going to be removing the heads and inspecting the gaskets, you will be able to see where the water is leaking out/in. My bet, with just the info youve given, is that if you were to removed the heads and replace gaskets, and torque back down your problem will be fixed.

Exactly where are you seeing the steam? Is is from the side of whichever head? or at the front of the motor? Maybe if you can tell which head is doing it you could just replace taht one sides gasket?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Years ago I had the same problem on my 93 5.0. As bizarre as this was and after tearing the engine down twice, I was told to put some Black RTV silicone around the water jacket ports between the heads and intake on both side of the gasket. Problem solved! Never thought it was the problem since the intake gaskets have that blue bead around the water jackets but apparently it is not enough. Just my 2 cents. Best of luck!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Are the cylinder head dowels still there? The gaskets will shift without them and the heads cant seal properly. Coolant is thin enough to pass thru under load. If the dowels are in place and in good shape, then something is warped. Or you did not use the right type of sealant on the head bolts by the intake. Or not enough. Did you chase the threads before assembly? Was everything clean as it could be?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah chased threads everything was clean. FormulaFords comment has me thinking? So I'm using Teflon tape to seal the bolts that go into the water jacket. Now correct me if I'm wrong but only the 2 lower corner head bolts go into the water jacket? Or is it all of the Lower bolts?

·
Registered
34 Posts
If my memory serves me, its just the lower bolts. I am still betting it is the exact same problem I had. Put a small bead around those water jackets on both sides (on head and outside of intake gasket). Make sure everything is nice and clean. Torque down correctly and let it dry.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Okay guys sealer on the lower bolts worked like a charm. Now she's backfiring like a motherfucker on acceleration. As soon as I put her in gear and try to move she backfires. Plugs are new, wires are new. Cleaned Maf, IAC, TB still nothing. I'm playing with the timing and she still backfires. Where should I go from here? Thanks for input. Really appreciate it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts