Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The install took definitely more than 20 min...but it is probably because of my inexperience with tools/modding.

1. The vid/install guide/DIY recommends 12" socket wrench extension....they didn't have at Home depot and recommend that I go to a commercial store like Northern equipments. I ended up just buying the 10" and useing another extension. (Though I realized 10" would have sufficed in certain angles.

2. I definitely recommend using a lift, instead of jack stands. at first it was not high enough so I thought I was going to sufficate under the car.

3. It was PITA because of the exhaust pipes. There just isn't much room to work. Luckily I had a friend there to help me out.

I didn't really notice increased noise or anything...but the shifts are definitely crisper and notchier (in a good way). It's not really that noticeable under regular shifting but under WOT, I can definitely rip thru the gears.

One thing: I didn't have 12mm or 5/16 (?) socket to tighten the bracket bolts at the end...so I CAREFULLY used pliers and adjustable wrench. Not sure if its' tight enough but I know the idea is NOT to overtighten....Will this come loose? I mean it was pretty tight.

·
good with the steel.
244 Posts
You need some tools man haha

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
Another convert!

You should be ok on the bolts as long as you used the thread lock. I might check the torque after a week or so just to be sure.

·
SlowFiveOh
2,370 Posts
I was set on an MGW shifter setup, but I think this is what I will be going with instead.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I got mine on a few weeks ago. It's not really hard to put on, just a PITA because you dont have room to work. It is DEFINITELY worth 80 bucks! Shifts are so crisp, feels like a bank vault closing everytime you change a gear. I did notice a good bit more noise, but honestly, i think its pretty cool hearing the synchros and such working.

I also unplugged the stupid skip shift while i was under there. Im a happy camper rowing through the gears now.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Was thinking of getting the double post since i planned on keeping the stock shifter in but its such garbage now(since im used to the MGW shifter) that I don't think ill get the double post since i have my MGW. Good to hear that its a great improvement though and i hope it works well or everyone.

·
Premium Member
11,663 Posts
If you have the MGW, you don't need a bracket. Only for stock style shifters.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I think he may have had another stang and kept the shifter when he got this one but its not on the car yet? At least that is how I understood that lol

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you guys remember i had it taken in for the blown synchros and ford reinstalled the stock shifter. Ya well i tossed that crap aside today and put my MGW back on. Cant believe i drove an entire week without it I haven't tried mustang with that bracket but man the stock shifter is such crap!!

·
Behold the black horse...
847 Posts
If you have the MGW, you don't need a bracket. Only for stock style shifters.
Or for the Hurst shifters, they come with a more solid rubber bracket but you gotta zip tie it to the metal part of the stock bracket and can still be prone to deflection you you bang it from 1st to 2nd. I will without a doubt put a double post on it before I take it out of winter storage.

·
Behold the black horse...
847 Posts
Speaking of Hrst shifters,anyone using the billet 2 hurst in there Mustang?
Yes, I have the Hurst Billet Plus 2 in my 2013. I LOVE the retro look with the chrome flat stick and it is cheaper than the Barton and MGW but the money I saved I will end up spending on a double post bracket. It comes with a stiffer rubber bracket but it's still a zip tied piece of rubber in a 40k car. Overall I do recommend it and I would buy it again.
EDIT: It also needs a Roush boot to look as perfect as mine, otherwise the leather boot gets bunched up where it meets the stick and boot retainer. The stock boot is made for a round stick. If you don't get the Roush boot it will look like this.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts