Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

New to the site but not to Mustangs. I'm on my 2nd one now,my first one was a 1989 Mustang LX Notchback 5.0 5 speed black, my 2nd on is a 1993 Mustang LX 5.0 5 speed Notchback 160k, Black on Black with factory tweed interior(I love Notchbacks). My question is I aquired a 93 Cobra drivetrain and wondering what if and suprises I should be looking for with installation. I also have a boat load of new parts to install, Eibach springs/strut/swaybars, UPR rear upper/lower control arms, front and rear strut/shock tower braces, Super King Cobra Clutch Kit(D&D Motorsports) Maximum motorsports Camber/Caters plate, Flaming River Steering shaft and more on the way... Any advice/help constructive critcism will be helpful thanks everyone...

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
You will have zero issues with the swap because they are essentially the same drivetrain with only minor differences.

·
Banned
11,614 Posts
aka t5z and thats it, disk in the rear too, think thats all

·
Registered
91 Posts
why go through all that work for an engine which only produces marginally more power? if your gonna go through the work build 'er up or throw in a stroker

just my $.02
post pics whatever you do

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
i love when i hear ppl (not OP) but ppl in general tell me/say

yea...its got a cobra motor.....im like...ok u had ten HP more when my motor was stock...ill still beat u

like last night at the shop, this guy was telling me i should swap to a cobra motor...im like dude my heads/intake/tb are not stock. i would go down in HP if i did that, and he was looking at me strange...

Ford did a great job in the 90's of tricking ppl into thinking cobra motors are god like

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The motor in the car has 160k on, the Cobra only has 60k on it and I truly don't believe a Cobra only has 10 more hp....

·
Registered
3,659 Posts
The motor in the car has 160k on, the Cobra only has 60k on it and I truly don't believe a Cobra only has 10 more hp....
160K is nothing, if its not burning oil, knocking, and compression is good, its good to go. The Cobra is more than 10 but its just gt40 heads and intake which you can get from an explorer. The trans is better then a regular T5 as well. still not worth swapping just to swap imho though.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
i love when i hear ppl (not OP) but ppl in general tell me/say

yea...its got a cobra motor.....im like...ok u had ten HP more when my motor was stock...ill still beat u

like last night at the shop, this guy was telling me i should swap to a cobra motor...im like dude my heads/intake/tb are not stock. i would go down in HP if i did that, and he was looking at me strange...

Ford did a great job in the 90's of tricking ppl into thinking cobra motors are god like
160K is nothing, if its not burning oil, knocking, and compression is good, its good to go. The Cobra is more than 10 but its just gt40 heads and intake which you can get from an explorer. The trans is better then a regular T5 as well. still not worth swapping just to swap imho though.
+1

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
87-93 were 225hp
they changed the method on how they rated HP in 1993

they are rated 225 hp by the old standards but there only 205hp by the new standards......

If you check out the HP rating on a 1993 mustang it states that there 205hp but they were just as powerful as the 87-92 stangs which were 225hp

I hope that clears things up

·
I <3 Boost
7,687 Posts
they changed the method on how they rated HP in 1993

they are rated 225 hp by the old standards but there only 205hp by the new standards......

If you check out the HP rating on a 1993 mustang it states that there 205hp but they were just as powerful as the 87-92 stangs which were 225hp

I hope that clears things up
ah that makes sense! lol

·
Registered
49 Posts
smaller cam, mass air, and exhasut on 93, thats what i have. got a cobra mass air and catless exhasut and it runs great now

·
Resident Know-it-all
2,964 Posts
aka t5z and thats it, disk in the rear too, think thats all
Z trans are 2.95 first gear, never came stock in a mustang or cobra. The cobra's had the pocket bearing on the output shaft and a 3.35 first gear, they were about 20 ft lbs of torque stronger or so.
Guys in Factory Stock were running low mid 11's on stock GT40's and Cobra intakes for years. With the right parts and some tweaking on the combo, could be a lot of fun and pretty quick as well. Pics would be cool.

·
Premium Member
780 Posts
If I were you I'd do a cam swap and at least have TMoss port the lower half of the Cobra intake. Maybe slap some aluminum heads on there too or at least port the GT40 heads. The '93 Cobra cam is nothing special; its actually a variation of the cam used in the 5.0L Thunderbird if not the exact same cam.

As far as the '93 Cobra motor having 235hp, that's what the motor was rated from the factory. The 94/95 Cobra motors were factory rated at 240hp because they had an electric fan setup instead of the clutch fan. They actually put out more like 270hp so it could be reasonably assumed that the '93 Cobra was slightly less than 270. If I remember right, the 94/95 Cobra has a factory 60mm TB and the '93 Cobra was the only one to come with a factory 65mm TB so you're set as far as throttle body goes.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts