Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to install head studs (without taking the heads off) and a GT40 intake upper/low, and a BBK FPR this weekend all in the car.

Anyone have any advice / tips? I noticed the studs have a flared end, im assuming those stick out on top.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
Advice: get a Chillton manual and take your time and do things right the first time you will regret it later.

How old are your head gaskets?

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Head gasket's probably have alot of miles on them, 60k or so.

Your thinking I should replace the head gasket's? I was trying to avoid the work of that.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im not tearing the engine apart though, Im only wanting to stud the head because im putting a turbo on.

I dont want to have to tear the thing completely down.

·
The Big Spoon
3,214 Posts
if you insist on installing the studs, do them one at a time. 60k shouldn't be bad for stickin a turbo to those gaskets but why cheap out? you should be trying to making it as bulletproof as possible.

·
Registered
378 Posts
just make sure you call the manufacturer (arp?) of your fasteners to find out what their recommended tourque specs are. torque specs change depending on what type of lube you are using and type of bolts you are using. you stand a good chance of ruining your head gaskets once you take pressure off of them. It would be a good idea to change them since you're going to be in there anyway.GOOD LUCK.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
i'd install your turbo kit now and save the studs for next month when you blow your head gaskets and have to swap new ones in :)

one tip I will offer though, since your only pulling the upper and lower intakes don't pull your dizzy unless you like going through the process of finding tdc etc. Just take the cap completely off and that should allow enough clearance for you to lift the lower intake off without having to remove the dizzy completely.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'd install your turbo kit now and save the studs for next month when you blow your head gaskets and have to swap new ones in :)

one tip I will offer though, since your only pulling the upper and lower intakes don't pull your dizzy unless you like going through the process of finding tdc etc. Just take the cap completely off and that should allow enough clearance for you to lift the lower intake off without having to remove the dizzy completely.

Thanks man, I Appreciate the tip.

What's the likelyhood of me lifting the head's though w/o the studs?

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
one in one

Don't bother replacing bolts with studs if you aren't going to do gaskets too. You'll be doing more harm than good.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
one in one

****, Your the one originally who told me I could do the stud's one at a time! :)

So, I have to pull the heads. This should be as simple as removing the rocker's, unbolting the heads, cleaning it all up, putting on new gaskets, stud'ing on the heads, and torqueing the rockers to 18 ft lbs, right?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
****, Your the one originally who told me I could do the stud's one at a time! :)

So, I have to pull the heads. This should be as simple as removing the rocker's, unbolting the heads, cleaning it all up, putting on new gaskets, stud'ing on the heads, and torqueing the rockers to 18 ft lbs, right?
there's a difference between could and should

and i'm pretty sure ryan was on a stock 302 block

·
Registered
4,781 Posts

I said you can do it one at a time, but I didn't recommend it. Throw a turbo on there and heads typically lift anyways, studs will help, but you should probably put a decent gasket on there at the same time, like a 9333pt1 felpro.

515 was at the wheels on a bone stock short block. As far as I know, it is still together. Current owner ran it to a 10.77 on race gas and a timing bump...probably making over 550...lol

1 - 17 of 17 Posts