Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install some (12v) LED strips under the dash in my 2000 Mustang to give it a little more of a personal look. I've got some real basic knowledge when it comes wiring but I'm not going to start messing with my Mustang until I know exactly what I'm doing. So I was wondering if anyone has a fairly detailed write-up (or a link to one (even a video would work)) on how to install these.

Thanks guys :)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
how do you want to do it? do you want them to power up via a switch or would you like them to come on whenever the door is opened? i think a couple of people on here have done it but if you want something more specific I can walk you through it.

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm thinking power them off/on via a switch. I think they're illegal in my state to have on while driving so I gotta be able to flip them off if the police pull me over.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
easy enough. what you will need to do is cut the wire connected to the LED strip. make sure to note which wire is positive and negative and also check to make sure that the unit is 12 volts in and 12 volts out and not 12 in and 5 out as the later will not work by just cutting it.
take the negative wire and find a spot with bare metal or take a self tapping screw and drill a hole for the ground.
then take the postive wire and tap it into this wire:
Parking Lights BROWN (+) DRIVER'S KICK PANEL
it will be in the 26 pin plug, pin 20 at the GEM module (generic electronic module)

please be sure to test all wire before tapping into them

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks wraith, I think I'll just tap into parking lights and run them that way instead of messing with a switch (unless the police decide to make a big deal about it). Is the parking lights wire easily accessible from the passengers side as well or will I need to run the wire through the dash and over to the drivers side? (what gauge wire will I need? I'm not sure if the wires on the led strips will reach that far)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
no they wont be there, they will be on the drivers side. you can always put a switch in line and still be able to cut them off without having to cut off your parking lights if you want.

·
Wax on, Wax off
7,738 Posts
not to thread jack....

but how hard would it be to do this with the door opening?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So for the passengers side I'll need to run the wiring behind the dash and over to the same wire as the drivers side so they both come on with the parking lights?

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
not to thread jack....

but how hard would it be to do this with the door opening?
not hard at all bro, i can walk you through it with pictures if needed.

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
So for the passengers side I'll need to run the wiring behind the dash and over to the same wire as the drivers side so they both come on with the parking lights?
:yes

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
no problemo mi amigo :D

Reactions: McQueen

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
What's the best method to tap into the parking lights wire? (could you post pics if you have any?)

Also would a switch like this fit into a slot where a cigarette lighter currently is? (it says it needs a 3/4" hole)

How would I go about removing the cigarette lighter to replace it with a switch? Like could I use the power and ground from the cigarette lighter for the switch? I think there's a 3rd wire in there, what do I do with that?

(sorry I have so many questions, I'm new to modding cars)

·
Registered
1,375 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
What's the best method to tap into the parking lights wire? (could you post pics if you have any?)

Also would a switch like this fit into a slot where a cigarette lighter currently is? (it says it needs a 3/4" hole)

How would I go about removing the cigarette lighter to replace it with a switch? Like could I use the power and ground from the cigarette lighter for the switch? I think there's a 3rd wire in there, what do I do with that?

(sorry I have so many questions, I'm new to modding cars)
no problem with the questions.

other then using taps the way that I do alot of my connections, other then soldering them together, is the "poke through" method.

1)Take the wire that you want to access and strip it back so that you have bare wires

2) Take a poker and poke through the exposed wire splitting it in half

3) Take the wire that you want to use to tap into above wire and strip the end back about an inch and twist the wire

4) Take the above wire and then feed it through the hole you created in step 2

5) Close wire that you poked through with wire going through it

6) Wrap wire that was poked through around until nice and tight

7) Take some electical tape and wrap twice. One going against the direction of the twist and then another on top going in the direction of the twist.

as far as the cig adapter im not sure if you will be able to fill the hole with that switch.
as far as taking it apart all you have to do is to pull up that trim ring around your shifter and unplug and pull it out. You can use the wires that are there if you want to just turn them on and off whenever you want to since the cig adapter is constant power.

now are you talking about the cig adapter plug has 3 wires or the switch has 3 wires?

·
Not A Regular Member
17,101 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Both. I was looking for a guide on the cigarette lighter method and I saw the vehicle used (it was some ricer car) had 3 wires connected to the cigarette adapter plug. The switch has 2 connections as well (power, ground, and "accessory" you choose to connect).

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
our cars only have 2 wires for the cig adapter, 1 power and the other ground.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts