Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Lowering springs, and anti-roll kit last week. Finally got a day off to install it all. I've been following a very good DIY and now have ran into an issue. I got the rears all done, not I'm working on the fronts.

While taking the front apart, I have everything off. And now the spring is locked in the A-arm. I've tried everything from prying it, to standing on the A-arm, it seems to be locked in there. I'm looking for some ideas to try. I think I may result to just cutting the spring with the angle grinder. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Because I really need to get this put back tomorrow before 8pm or so.

I thought about torching or trying a bigger pry bar, but I'd rather just cut it instead of torch it. So looking for any one else's thoughts or suggestions.

And it's locked in there with rust I'm assuming, because the whole front 1/2 is separated from the seat, and the back half I just cant get up over the lip.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I have tried spring compressors, and they seem to not work. The bolts are too long on them and either hit the spring's top seat, or the A-arm, when trying to compress them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I stood on the A-arm the spring just moves with it. I think it's seized in the bottom. And it being the whole spring, I cant get enough pressure on it form any angle to pop it out. That's why I think by cutting it in the middle to 2 pieces or maybe even 3, it will be easier to remove. Since I will be able to get more pressure on each area.

·
Banned
10,319 Posts
Try using a pry bar. I used one foot to push the a arm down and then used a pry bar to get the front springs out. No spring compressor required and my a-arms are decently rusty.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It should not have a lot of trouble coming out once it's decompressed. As long as you're sure that it's not in the k member anymore, stand on the arm and pry it. You may try jacking the car up more and pushing the arm down further.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Where did you pry from? Because I've tried prying from under, over, behind, in the front. I'm hitting it from every angle and can't seem to find the right spot. Also is there an issue with cutting it? That is my main question, I guess. Because that would make the install much faster.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even standing on it now, it doesn't touch the ground. So jacking up the car wouldn't solve anything. Appreciate all the responses, really liking this forum.

·
Registered
784 Posts
break the bolts loose for the lower control arm to the k member could be partialy just the rubber binding on the bushing

grinder might be tough cause it will bind agains the wheel while cutting a torch would take care of it not really a problem but if you have a problem with the new there is no going back

i have found that breaking the lower control arm bolts loose the arm swings right out of the way with the ball joing and the sway bar dissconnected

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Okay, I'll give that a go tomorrow. Was going to do it today, but seeing as how I'm not using a lift, its hard to get the leverage on them. But I'll give that a go tomorrow.

Really liking all the support on here, and look forward to seeing more of me, responding, and not solely just reading through the forums. :)

Nice to meet you all.

·
Registered
22,813 Posts
I've done the pry bar trick 3 times now, works like a charm. I normally pry from under the edge that is sticking up or towards the rear of the car.

·
Registered
784 Posts
"its not the size of the tool its how you use it"is probobly what your wife tells you isnt it

or the ever polular "its not the size of the ship its the motion of the ocean" but it takes a long time to cross the atlantic in a dingy

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I've lowered many cars, so I know how to use tools, if you're implying that I'm not aware of how to use a pry bar. My foot long break bar barely budged the spring at all, and hence why I think it is rusted a decent amount into the seat.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Mine practically fell out when i did it, it wasnt difficult at all. Try a pry bar though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Does any one read the original post? I have tried a pry bar. I was asking for other responses but thank you.

Thank for all the suggestions all, I'll give the loosening up the A-arm a shot tomorrow morning. And get back to you all on how it goes.

·
Pays in respect
2,891 Posts
May be obvious advice but have you tried spraying the perch with pb blaster/wd-40? Might weaken the hold enough to get the spring out.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts