Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much of a pain is it to replace an intake gasket? The guy i bought the car from used that silicon gasket stuff which didnt work very well. It leaks enough oil to be annoying, so i ordered a gasket and if the weather holds up il change it tomorrow. My dad seems to think it couuld be an all day job... but how? And im carbed if that makes any difference

·
I'm doing it wrong
5,495 Posts
I haven't done it myself yet but I asked my buddy this same question the other day because I have to change a couple gaskets on my car. He told me the intake gasket is really easy, if you don't already know these cars are a dream to work on compared to others.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Honestly, you should use silicone for the front and rear of the valley area instead of those little gasket pieces. That is a common area for leaks FOR people that use them normally. A good bead of silicon on a clean prepped surface will be far superior.

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Its not to bad, but id add an oil change to that list, because most likely when you remove the intake, coolant will fall into the engine. Doing an oil change will remove that coolant

·
Why not have a Fox?
5,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, they ordered the wrong gasket so looks like ill be waiting till next week to change it.:facepalm: so you would use the silconefor just the valley area??? And yes, an oil change is long due anyways! What oil do you sugest ryanw? With the mods i have? I dont know the the previous owner used

·
Registered
756 Posts
Use your valley gaskets, ensure you have plenty of sealer in the corners and a light coating on both sides. Be careful when setting the intake down they like to shift once you have it set.

Motorcraft 10w30 will be just fine with a Motorcraft filter, make sure to use Motorcraft parts whenever you can the quality is better. A lot of GM guys even like to use Motorcraft plugs in their stuff.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Yes, throw the valley gaskets in the trash! If you blow out a gasket because you used them, blame ^^^^ that guy! The valley is way to wide to not have any bolts on the ends to clamp that **** down. Every top engine builder doesn't use them. I'm just an internet opinion though, what do I know....

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
compared to the newer model cars out there, it's a lot easier, but it's time consuming too. just make sure you remember what goes where. haha

·
Registered
756 Posts
Yes, throw the valley gaskets in the trash! If you blow out a gasket because you used them, blame ^^^^ that guy! The valley is way to wide to not have any bolts on the ends to clamp that **** down. Every top engine builder doesn't use them. I'm just an internet opinion though, what do I know....
Feel free to blame me if you use it and it blows out. I have used them on every 5.0 I have worked on since 1999 without a single blow out and more than 100k miles total overall.

I am sure both ways work equally well, but you cannot blame the gasket when odds are it was not installed properly causing the leak.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Shouldn't take a whole day, especially with a carburetor.

Sent from my galaxy s II

1 - 12 of 12 Posts