Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I always knew that when my stock 2000 GT plastic intake manifold final gave up I would buy an HPS Hardball'r intake manifold. They are out of stock and might get some in in 6-8 weeks.

Victor Jr. is out of the question. I want one that fits with my current fuel rails.

Google found two others Trick Flow, which is basically a Bullitt intake manifold and Professional Products Typhoon. I already have a 75mm TB/Plenum but I've not read good things about Professional Products.

Are there any others? If not which of the two above do you prefer?

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
While the TF is pricey, check the MM&FF January 2013 issue...... Mine just came in the mail last night so it's a month or so out of news stands. They did a ten run back to back dyno test of the stock PI intake vs a ten run back to back of the new TF intake(all of this designed to create heat soak to simulate real world conditions). Both the PI and the TF dropped off with heat soak (at about the same rate by the way). The TF resulted in about a 50 hp peak increase after they retuned (added timing since they lost 2 lbs of boost with the new intake). Even with the heat soak and skydiving dyno readings.... the TF still produced 50 hp than the PI. Decision made yet?

By the way I agree the TF is essentially a Bullitt intake but it's available in either oval TB or round TB so you can retain the TB you have now... as well as the GT throttle cable which won't work with a Bullitt intake (the intake and throttle cable have been discontinued by Ford).

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bulloch, I don't know why but I've suddenly become interested in the TF manifold. :) What cams were they running?

Since I'm going to need a new tune, I've decided to put on a shorty off-road h-pipe as well.

·
Head Unicorn
5,085 Posts
I'm typically not a fan of dyno results, dyno article or dyno threads and I tend to not read them at all. However, I read the article simply because of a few conversations I've had of late with the now defunct NMRA Real Street class...... When the article began covering the ten back to back runs with no cool down and no fans I got interested. I don't care what the total hp number is........ but when you describe to me a real world style dyno test... and it results in a 50 hp increase at 160 degrees and at 210 degrees...... i'm listening. Pretty impressive if you ask me. That's huge. Not to mention they lost 2lbs of boost due to the increased flow..... even more impressive. Sounds like a winner to me. See if you can get your hands on the article and read it as well as review the dyno charts/results and make your own decision.

·
Premium Member
9,751 Posts
please, please don't buy an hps, I made that mistake when I had my white car & it was the biggest piece of crap I ever had.

it all started when it was delivered in an old cut up & taped back together tv box wrapped up on a few sheets of newspaper & went down hill from there.

I called the company & they didn't see anything wrong with the packaging, the fact that the forgot to drill & tap the heater hose fitting or supply a nipple for it, their response was "sorry, we've been busy but if you can change an intake manifold, I'm shure you can figure out how to drill & tap a hole & find a nipple at the parts store".

add to that, the intake had 2 completely diffrent colors of aluminum in it & kinda looked 2 tone in a weird way (from the plenum mounting area forward it was darker).

some of the worst money I ever spent.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
could put a stocker back on again....or the TF seems like your only option other than using a logan

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
Since I think your on a stock bottom end do you need 50 more rwhp. Also you would require a new tune and quite possible a fuel system upgrade. If that's the case it's hard to beat the OEM manifold.

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts
My car through a C4 using a ported HPS intake.

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
that is TT car at 20psi...

this is p1sc stock longblock car...

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
you son of a bitch! haha

·
Premium Member
3,388 Posts

·
BYAHHHH!
18,672 Posts
it can but I wouldnt go over 6500...you are filling that intake alot more and utilizing the extra space. IMO the stocker is fine for him again...I only rev mine to 6200

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Since I think your on a stock bottom end do you need 50 more rwhp. Also you would require a new tune and quite possible a fuel system upgrade. If that's the case it's hard to beat the OEM manifold.
Sir, our love of horsepower always requires more. But you are correct. I am at the limit of the SVT Focus fuel pump. Anything more would require a 340 lph pump.

Yes, I'm still on a 179,000 mile stock motor but I really doubt that the Trick Flow intake alone would give me 50 rwhp. (Did anyone really think that was a real number?) With the off-road pipe I might just get over 400 rwhp (I'm at 383 SAE right now).

I don't know how long my motor will last. I'm looking forward to posting a "100,000 miles supercharged" tread I'm currently at 89,000. I have looked at a lot of options for a motor replacement but I have decided I'm not going to drop $7,500 for a 750 rwhp motor in a daily driver. My replacement motor will most likely come from a salvage yard 02-05 Explorer.

I hate to say it but if none of you have better ideas. The stock intake manifold might just be the best option. (How boring.)

1 - 20 of 73 Posts