Modded Mustang Forums banner

Intake manifold

6K views 109 replies 30 participants last post by  cale2006 
#1 ·
Could I see 20hp out of a c&l intake manifold and whipple gt single blade throttle body?

When does the frpp manifold come out? Is it any better? Is the whipple throttle body better, or is the frpp billit 62mm better? I want to order if this will gain me some power!

#45 ·
wow, this guy is something else.....

I dunno about how **** goes in canada, but here in IL my car with bolt ons runs 13.1 on street tires, with half a tank of gas, and everything in the interior that is always there.. not to mention cammed cars regularly make the power juco makes, if not more. Including 07stanggt, who has probably tried more N/A combos than anyone on this site. If I remember correctly, he made over 350 to the tire with NSR cams a couple years ago...

I guess he's just gealous that his lopey riceboy cams didn't do much for him. If I were you, I'd find a new tuner, and maybe look into someone that knows enough about cars to figure out why yours stops building power 1000 RPM lower than a stock engine. Oh wait, you're a Mustang expert.. nevermind, you should be able to take car of that. Maybe cut a bigger hole in your airbox.

#46 · (Edited)
listen here dicks... I came on here and simpley posted that with what some guy had for mods that i seen in his sig there was no way he was makin that power. i just posted what my results were when i installed cams. you guys did nothing but bash me for what i have done. you guys all come off as a very FRIENDLY group(lol) but i see that this is over yor head , and you really dont know much. i bet u dont even do your own oil changes,have someone do it for ya, and for SILVERSTANG who tried telling me about not useing nitrous, i run a gt500 pump with a DSS pro mod short block.I think it can handle a 150 shot lmfao. shes only rated to handle over 1000hp. your right i shouldnt use that 150 shot, come summer its gona be a 250shot, but hay one thing i will agree with ya on is that it does need a cai no gona disagree with ya there. You guys keep liveing in your make belive world,you all probley think that a gt500 really makes 500 hp.in the real world boys,and i do mean boys it only makes about 450rwhp sorry to burst your bubble. Have a good day YA'LL lol. Bunch of single old men here, youll die alone with that attitude.

#53 ·
You have seen a blown 5.4lt on a ENGINE dyno i assume?

Although I dont really know what cams are or have never been to a track ill try to answer you. You have thumpr cams? Which means you robbed yourself off probably 30lbs of torque and hp on the bottom end and lost power probably up to 5k. You make no mention of gears in your sig, if you are running stock gears then its no wonder with those cams you aren't running 14s. Do you have any gear in the car? and what rpm do you leave at, what rpms do you shift at? what rpms does you car end up at when you shift gears? acceleration is about average HP while going through the gears.

You could have two cars that both make 500 peak hp but that run very different times.

If car A is only averaging 400 hp from start to finish and car B due to gears and shift points is average 450hp from start to finish then car b is going to be probably in the neighborhood of 5/10s quicker. THUMPR cams are not for the average guy, its a race cam by mod motor standards and needs the PROPER setup to perform, gearing and driver. You cant put thumprs in the car and then drive it like stock and expect it to perform better.

#48 ·
Your running a built DSS shortblock making THAT kind of power? Running a cut up stock air intake?? Your either full of **** or a dumbass (sorry for the rudeness).........Ask anyone on here, I'm NEVER a rude person. I do my own oil changes, I think i'm "qualified" for that. I'm actually "qualified" to work on almost any Ford vehicle on the road. I specialize in diesel engine repair but i've done my share of modular gas motors. BTW DSS does not have a very good rep in the modular world. I will also love to see your 250 shot through your NX plate system and a stock intake, let me know how that works for you.

A little more FYI, your motor isn't going to handle jack **** on the spray with your tuner.

#49 · (Edited)
Umm.. I believe it is you that is the dick. I guess we'll do this point by point. As far as the GT500, factory cars are almost ALWAYS rated at crankshaft horsepower, not rear wheel horsepower (are you awware of the difference?) and 450 rwhp is over 500 crankshaft horsepower.

Second off, I believe most people here know how to change there own oil. But we'll use a couple of examples of specific people from this thread. Silverstang is a Ford Master technician, last I checked. Mike98mustang would be a Chrysler factory technician. The poster, juco, is the manager of some kind of repair place (I forget the name), and I am an ASE master technician as well.

Silverstang didn't tell you not to run a 150 shot. He said not to on a stock engine. You never said anythnig about a DSS shortblock. And, like he said, your worthless tuner will probably blow your **** up anyway.

But none of that means ****, because none of us are Mustang EXPERTS that have (supposed) built engines, with cutup air intakes (because who really needs a CAI? I mean, it's only one of the most significant performance improvemets on these cars), and riceboy cams, that can't figure out why our junk is slow and doesn't run right.

I also don't think any of the people you are talking about are kids, old men, or single. Hell, most of our wives/girlfriends probably know more about building fast Mustangs than you do. You are the one that talks out of your ass and throws around childish insults, so if anyone here was a "kid" it'd be you. Also, nobody here has had a bad attitute either, at least not untill you started talking **** about Americans (and I'm not even gonna touch that one, since there are Canadian members here that AREN'T douschbags), once again you are the one getting hostile. SO since it is you that are a kid, and a dick, and you obviously have absolutely no worthwhile information to contribute to this forum, I think you may have already outstayed your welcome.

#50 ·
so youre running a shortblock with cams that make noise instead of power. I may not know much but **** that seems kindof counter-productive IMO

#57 ·
the first time I ever drag race my car i cut 2.2 60ft time with a 13.9@104
Mind i had the car for only two weeks at this time and it was completely stock. if your guys cant break a 14.3 then there is something wrong with them.

#60 ·
Pitbull...u say it cant be done...well im currently at a elevation of 7200ft and my 09 will be getting dynoed after taxes so if my car makes over 300 hp with the mods in my sig...maybe some shorty headers too (going turbo later so dont bother telling me they are a waste) then you sir (if ur still here when that happens) will be called out on ur bs

#76 ·
it prolly wont but who knows. im expecting more like 280

#62 ·
An intake is one of those mods you don't buy to make power - you buy it to HANDLE power.

The really 'fast' guys didn't put intake manifolds on their cars to make 1 extra HP - they ALL put them on to handle their HP and boost levels and, more importantly, to make sure their flow rates were equal in every runner.

Another little fact for you guys, ALL of the 'fast' guys - run a Hogans or a JPC because they are the only two 3V manifolds worth a crap. The others are simply cosmetic mods...:cool:

#63 ·
I know u know very much about these cars and I really respect your opinion, but there's a guy on this site that gained around 30hp adding an intake manifold. I'm not expecting that much, but if I gain 15hp I feel it's worth it. 15hp n/a is a lot... Not just managing. A driveshaft is managing hp. Managing hp is puting what u already have to use. There are plenty of fi guys making big numbers off these manifolds. I plan on going fi in the future so this mod for me is just a step in the process. Thanks for your input though!

#64 ·
Wow, what a thread. To help stay on topic, I've been helping tune the C&Ls through their preproduction period and just got a production version too late in the season to get it dynoed, tuned and dialed in at the track. Seat of the pants is a smooth power curve up to 7000rpm, and very good throttle response.

I have cold air, LTs and o/r h-ipipe, 4.10s, comp 127300 cams, rear drag suspension. Last dyno with delete plates was 333hp. Best of 12.4 before the C&L manifold. More to come this spring. Have a GT500TB, may try that, have 4.30 gears, WILL try that, will do Fox Lake ported heads with comp 127500 cam later in year as well...

Here's a shot from the rained out S197 shootout in North Carolina:

#65 · (Edited)
An intake is one of those mods you don't buy to make power
That's our view also. Did not buy the JPC to make any more hp...much more interested in even distribution of gases and boost per cylinder, which is a major focus of the JPC design. Also it's a proven product on 8 second s197s.

Actually the C&L was not out, when we bought the JPC, so that was not an option anyway.

#67 ·
yup she still running good.average about 14mpg too lol. this truck is fun , especialy when i get some shithead or punk kid pull up beside me to pick on a f150 then gets stuck tryin to figure out what just happened. lol i luv the look on their face when i floor it. i got to get it dyno'd and then to the track to see what shes got

#68 ·
Truthfully both are supposed to be good for forced induction anything that is good on N/A that can increase overall power by 5% or more is great for FI. i still need to get a intake but im waiting on a Engine, long tubes, and Drifeshaft swap. I think when all this happens ill be trailering my car to PHP.

what truck do you have?

#70 ·
sounds fun the closest feeling to fast i had experienced in a truck was my tuned 5.4 3v FFV model. that sucker kicked it in the ass.

#81 ·
Wow.

Calm down everyone.

Most of you all know where I work and what my views are on America and Americans. So I'm not going to feel like I have to explain myself.

And while I feel that Pitbull comes across as an illiterate, rude, box of douche, let's be clear here on the whole country bashing thing:

Rich started in on him with the Canada comments. Pitbull might be an egregious cum snuffler, but he was merely stating a point about elevation as it pertains to power numbers, which was indeed relavent to the debate.

Now granted what Rich said wasn't bad, and wasn't actually offensive, but let's be clear that pitbull was simply responding to what Rich said. pitbull did not come here and randomly start slandering Americans.

pitbull, I will say this to you. If you find Americans that stupid and condescending based off of one flippant remark, and are unable to handle pointed barbs and commentary, then don't talk that way yourself. Because you come across as being the very thing you accuse Americans of.

Or, go eyefuck another forum with your grammatically incoherentness . All these people here are my friends. When you get a clue of what freedom is and what it means, maybe you will have earned one iota of a possibility of even being worthy of discussing anything about Americans.

I love the classic 'As soon as there is a disagreement with someone who happens to be American, I will start disparaging them instead of arguing the subject matter at hand' line of bullshit.

<Proud Canadian.

Oh, and by the by, most people will take what you write a little more seriously if you take the time to, you know, form a sentence and use actual grammar, thus rendering your meandering nonsensical claptrap perhaps a smidge easier to comprehend.

If you don't want to be treated like an asshole then don't act like one.

#84 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.