Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone! Some of you may know I sold my old 5.0 to relocate not too long ago, but I am back in the hunt. I found a nice little 2001 completely stock...so perfect for me to start changin....but 1 question...
It appears to have an all plastic intake manifold. I thought by 2001 they had changed over to the intake manifold with the aluminum cross over to prevent the cracking due to high heat....which I experienced in my 96GT many years ago. Am I correct on this? If so, then this one has been changed out and I'm not sure I want to go with it... Thanks!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
irrc the 99-mid 01 had the plastic crossover intakes.
Thanks. I thought I remembered hearing that the change happened in mid 01. And doing just a quick google image search I came across a few 2001's with the plastic port. Ok, concern is slowly fading. I just hope I don't have any issues with it like I did in the past. However, I think I am now capable of swapping one out myself instead of paying $1300 to have the Ford Dealership do it!

·
Registered
4,709 Posts
My 2000 also had plastic. Word of advice, DO NOT get the dorman. It's much smaller than the FRPP and is very restrictive.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
^Well if I get this car, I hope I don't need to worry about replacing it unless I do it by choice! Looked at the car today...pretty sharp, but I am taking until monday to make the decision. I pointed out a few things to let them think about so we can get the numbers where we need them haha!
Thanks everyone.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Not trying to shatter your dreams Jordon, but more than likely you'll be replacing that manifold. I had to replace mine in my 2003, and that has an aluminum crossover! It's amazing that you still see those plastic ones around anymore.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^dang man...i dont want to hear that haha. Mine cracked back in the day because I was stupid and doing burnouts and on a 100 degree afternoon and the car got too hot....but I don't drive like that anymore. A small brakestand here and there, but nothin to get it super hot. I'd hope itd be ok.

·
Registered
380 Posts
^dang man...i dont want to hear that haha. Mine cracked back in the day because I was stupid and doing burnouts and on a 100 degree afternoon and the car got too hot....but I don't drive like that anymore. A small brakestand here and there, but nothin to get it super hot. I'd hope itd be ok.
Yeah man, sorry. The PI manifolds are great for performance, but for some reason can't stand up to the heat from the coolant and get brittle over time. I'd say on average from what i've experienced with my own, and seen happen to other people, they last about 10 years on a mostly stock car before they start to give you trouble.

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
leaking is not good, but dumping coolant and a bouncing idle are really not good!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I still have the plastic intake on the 99 GT I picked up a few weeks ago. No leaking yet at 23,700 miles, but I'm kind of expecting it to happen at some point.

·
Registered
70 Posts
1300 to replace an intake.....****
Thats right at the going dealer cost at this time. A couple of years ago, maybe 2 my brother purchased a used Town Car that blew the intake on the way home from the purchase. We took it to a local Ford dealer who call the corp office to see if they would provide assistance. Ford did step up to the plate and cover 50% of the cost as a matter of good faith.

·
Danger To Manifold
1,488 Posts
The intake at list price is 500 plus labor. If you buy from ford.

If it does break. Get an aftermarket piece. I have a victor Jr and love it. But you'll have to get theirfuel rails or make your own brackets like I did.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Mines plastic...this just gives Mr a good reason to upgrade it now :)

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

---------- Post added at 11:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:14 AM ----------

Anyone recommend a good lower to go with the bkk throttle body?

Sent from my PC36100 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.