Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks - I'm in the market for a used upper and lower intake upgrade. The two I have narrowed it down to is trick flow and cobra. Is there some sort of guide on the differences between all the intakes? Do the majority of the original cobra intakes bolt on with relative ease?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
When it comes to the Fox body its pretty easy to do anything to that car especially the easy bolt on stuff. All intakes will bolt right up and in my opinion I would run the TFS or Edelbrock series intakes.

TFS Track or the Edelbrock Performer PRM matched with a 65mm or 70mm TB depending on what other mods you plan to do the car which I'm betting will be the exhaust and eventually the heads and cam.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had edelbrock on my 90 and did not like them and ended up going with trick flow finding them (in my opinion) to be better. I had Somone else do the work though and want to do everything myself on the 88. So if I was to pull a cobra off say a 93 I would be fine?

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
The chances of finding a real 93 cobra in the junk yard are slim. Most likely you be able to find a recast version on CL, ebay, and mustang forums. From time to time i see an original cobra intake from a real 93 cobra pop up on ebay, but those guys want a lot of money for the original, and i doubt that there all that much better then the recast version

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So back to the original point - is the difference between cobra (recast) and trick flow minimal? I actually have a bunch of cobra exterior and interior pieces and it might be fun to go that route

·
Registered
2,399 Posts
Why not just grab an Exploer 5.0 from the local salvage yard for probably under $100, & have at least equal performance to the Cobra!!

·
Registered
11,200 Posts
Im willing to bet thats a recast. But to tell you the truth, i have no idea what the differences are, but im sure theres got to be some differences. Im guessing some ford cobra fanatic could come up with a whole list of how to tell a real from a fack. You might need the casting numbers

I do agree with horsepowerjunkie.... if you wanna save some good money then go with the explorer. But one thing i do like better about the cobra is..... the cobra does not use an EGR spacer, and that is one less gasket to deal with and presents a cleaner look and because of this you dont have to budget anothet 40 bucks to buy a spacer( plus the cobra does not use egr coolant lines which is a bonus in my book).. Incase you didnt know the cobra has a built in egr spacer

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im willing to bet thats a recast. But to tell you the truth, i have no idea what the differences are, but im sure theres got to be some differences. Im guessing some ford cobra fanatic could come up with a whole list of how to tell a real from a fack. You might need the casting numbers

I do agree with horsepowerjunkie.... if you wanna save some good money then go with the explorer. But one thing i do like better about the cobra is..... the cobra does not use an EGR spacer, and that is one less gasket to deal with and presents a cleaner look and because of this you dont have to budget anothet 40 bucks to buy a spacer( plus the cobra does not use egr coolant lines which is a bonus in my book).. Incase you didnt know the cobra has a built in egr spacer
Appreciate all the feedback thanks guys. Whatever I end up doing I will keep you all posted. I have a ton of cobra parts and leaning torwards getting a cobra set up

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In the end I guess you can't go wrong with the Cobra. Looks good and will support a decent amount of power for sure. Good luck with the build.
Thanks that's what I figured. I was dead set on doing a trick flow build but after thinking about it I think this is going to be fun to make a cobra clone type car.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Thanks that's what I figured. I was dead set on doing a trick flow build but after thinking about it I think this is going to be fun to make a cobra clone type car.

Why do clone? Which one of the trickflow were you thinking? There are a few for push rod 5.0.

·
Registered
266 Posts

Why do clone? Which one of the trickflow were you thinking? There are a few for push rod 5.0.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
real cobra by casting # pm me the number and illl tell you and on the part where the egr goes on top if its blank or says ford racing

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Idk just to do something a little different and to make it a little funner. I have cobra sills and a bunch of interior parts and exterior. It won't be a "clone" so to say but just my personal project. I did my 90 all trick flow so kind of been there done that and looking to do something else.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
1 - 20 of 34 Posts