Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last week when i was driving home from work my car started missing and throwing a code for the number 3 cop. after looking closer i found the the back of the intake manifold was leaking coolant into the plug boot causing the misfire. so i ordered a replacement ford racing pi intake and installed it today with new gaskets and thermostat. The car fired right up but was smoking a lot at first(i assume it was from some coolant probably getting into the intake runner). after it warmed up the smoke went away but im getting a small hesitation under a load around 4000 rpm mainly in 2 and 3 gear. i have double checked all of the connections and checked for air leaks. im running out of ideas, it ran fine before i swapped out the intake. Anybody have any other suggestions ?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cleaned the coolant from the cops, I have not replaced the plugs,the ones in it are less than a thousand miles old. I didn't think that coolant on the outside of the plug would have ruined it? But I will get more tomorrow just in case.

·
a.k.a. Racecougar
4,775 Posts
The plug wells, COPs, and boots need to be absolutely dry. Inspect the boots for any cracks, tears, or traces of arcing. If it continues, it will likely be a failing COP, as they don't tolerate firing while wet with coolant too well.

·
Registered
480 Posts
COP's. I would remove all of them and use a dryer or heat gun to dry out the wells. Or an air compressor with a water separator if you got one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts