Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i'm picking up an intercooled vortech kit this weekend. has front mount intercooler. piping is setup for a blow thru maf but can be setup for draw thru as well. just wondering what setup i should do

i keep getting a variation in answers so just thought i would see what yall thought.

i have heard to keep it a blow thru type because of the piping going all the way to the front mount. something about it bogging when you first hit the gas if you don't do blow thru with fmic and maybe pegging the maf? can't remember, not sure. do i need a blow thru maf? and if so do i need a new maf or can i use the stock one or/and an extender or whatever. kinda lost.

or can i do the draw through setup?? (PLANS ARE BETWEEN 380-400RWHP)
if so i know the intercooler piping would have to be setup different which i don't think would be a problem but same questions with this also. new maf? or can i use stock one or do i need extender or what. i have read the stock maf should not be pegged at 11psi or under. dunno if that was intercooled or not.

dunno which type setup i should/need to do!

main point-don't mind using the stock maf at all if i can keep it. don't wanna buy somethin i don't have to if i can stick with the stock one and be fine.

thanks!

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
also..piping is setup with a billet blow off valve which i would keep if i can. doesn't this require blow thru?

sorta off topic but how does bov sound on vortec? lol

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
mr.bigjeep... you getin one off of ebay that i posted in that poweradder classifieds?

·
Registered
4,406 Posts
I heard blow through is the best way. Best drivability and tuning. Heard of a few on MM that had draw through MAF's with a centri setup and had issues. Soon as they went to a blow through it went away.

Stock MAF will probably not be enough. **** i pegged the lightning MAF at 9 psi. I had to use a MAFIA with it..

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
+1 for ryan... my lightning maf had to have a mafia too!

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
I heard blow through is the best way. Best drivability and tuning. Heard of a few on MM that had draw through MAF's with a centri setup and had issues. Soon as they went to a blow through it went away.

Stock MAF will probably not be enough. **** i pegged the lightning MAF at 9 psi. I had to use a MAFIA with it..
+1. Listen to this guy. Go with the hpx slot maf and blow thru.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
+1. Listen to this guy. Go with the hpx slot maf and blow thru.
alright then. blow thru it is. piping is already set up for it anyway as it used a blow thru maf before. and tuner said just to try and set it up the way the previous owner had it.

so just gotta get the blow thru maf (will look at one you reccommended) and im good.

thanks a lot

btw, blow thru maf will go at the throttle body?? or right by the filter? just curious

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
so i found this on a website that sells the hpx slot style that you ^^ mentioned... modularspeed.com

"

* Use OEM slot-style sensor for vehicles making 200-300RWHP.

* Use extender device to increase range beyond that to 300-450RWHP with OEM sensor.

* Use PMAS HPX sensor for vehicles making 300-650RWHP (use extender for more range).

"

so sense i will not be going over 450rwhp (because of stock internals) it looks like i will be fine with just the actual hpx blow thru maf housing and the stock maf with the extender...the housing with stock maf and extender should be good for 450 to the wheels which is plenty.

housing is ninety and extender is 110 so thats 200 and i just use the stock maf and that will give me a blow thru setup for pretty cheap and don't even have to buy a new maf with that extender...and good for up to four fifty.

thanks yall helped a lot

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
oooh ok i suppose that makes sense...

so i need to get the hpx slot style blow thru maf with the included sensor...and the "99-04 adapter"...correct? and that maf should be plenty so no need for the extender? thanks.

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
btw baker, this kit is listed on the poweradder section on corral and also just ended on ebay this past sunday...

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Ya get a lighting maf and get a mafia to go with it, my maf is in the right fenderwell

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
edit...ok now i see...lightning maf with extender should be enough for my power needs and would work as a blow through setup as well...as long as blow through can be setup with the maf right behind the filter?

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Yeah its by my filter, its a draw threw setup, i made 370 with it, and yea im 3 core intercooled

·
Registered
7,186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
see i'm told to do blow though? i don't see how you can use the same lightning maf and use it as draw through OR blow through.

i'm so confused its not funny...i'll just ask the mustang specialty shop i'm dealing with what they reccommend. i can't count how many cars they build. i'll just see what they suggest.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
I might be getting confused, I was told i needed a different MAF if i wanted to blow off to the atmosphere, AJM said that i needed a different one, The lighting can only be used one way. One sec and i will read my pm from him

·
Premium Member
4,464 Posts
see i'm told to do blow though? i don't see how you can use the same lightning maf and use it as draw through OR blow through.

i'm so confused its not funny...i'll just ask the mustang specialty shop i'm dealing with what they reccommend. i can't count how many cars they build. i'll just see what they suggest.
You can use a lmaf in blow thru, but it will suck, and you might have driveability issues that cannot be tuned out. I done a few with ok to poor results. It really depends on how long and straight you can get your pipes. The lmaf doesn't take turbulence very well at all. I'd trust MM over a random shop, unless they are one of the top tuning shops.
Oh yeah, Nice jeep!!

·
Banned
7,964 Posts
I might be getting confused, I was told i needed a different MAF if i wanted to blow off to the atmosphere, AJM said that i needed a different one, The lighting can only be used one way. One sec and i will read my pm from him
This would be because the lightening isnt that great of a maf for a blow through setup; which youd need to vent to atmosphere.

·
Baker Jr.
3,472 Posts
Yeah AJM said its a good suck threw but not so good blow threw, just do a suck threw setup, then it blows off back into your intake pipe, id rather have the air blow into my supercharger intake, why waist that pressure :)

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.