Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently swapped from my 2 core procharger intercooler to the 4 core cx racing intercooler. I figured it would be more air, but my a/f is now in the 13's-14's at WOT. Should this be normal. Stal, i know you went from a 3 core to a 4 core so i figure you would know best. I tried to call you the other day... turn your phone on!!!!! But its just crazy for my a/f to be that lean now. I also shortened up my piping and did some rerouting. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Yeah going that large of an ic messed up a ton on my car. It pegged my maf and I went real lean as well. Get ready to make more power

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Just remember I picked up 85 hp with a larger pulley less timing and hotter day

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
Another thing I just thought of is you said you re did your piping so you probably deposition your maf. That also will mess with your injecter pulse width

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
I recently swapped from my 2 core procharger intercooler to the 4 core cx racing intercooler. I figured it would be more air, but my a/f is now in the 13's-14's at WOT. Should this be normal. Stal, i know you went from a 3 core to a 4 core so i figure you would know best. I tried to call you the other day... turn your phone on!!!!! But its just crazy for my a/f to be that lean now. I also shortened up my piping and did some rerouting. Any thoughts?
Time for a re-tune if you have everything hooked up properly.

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
How is that 4 core Baker? Im thinking about getting one really soon

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
dude... the car already pulls better without a doubt! Everything is hooked up right. Ive checked it all bout 40 times! When i get on the gas it goes lean. Yes the air is probably moving differently through the maf. Im thinking its just in for sure need of a tune.

Since my last tune i have.....

went from 3.00 slipping pulley to 2.8 RR 8 rib setup.
2 core to 4 core intercooler
repositioned maf
twin cobra pumps => Twin GT pumps

Im hoping to get VERY close to 600rwhp if not hit it!

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
Man you made 545rwhp and couldn't even rev it that high right? I bet you'll be making like 21psi and 615rwhp. My guess. When are you getting a re-tune?

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
baker your going to make some serous power. last time we talked i belived you said you were running a 80mm lightning maf with a mafia. i sure hope you dont peg it out like i did. also the re position of the maf will make your maf counts go up or down depending on the angle it sits in the intake tub

·
Registered
21,024 Posts
What about that hpx PMAS slot style maf trick tuners sells? That would probally be a good setup baker. Just an idea? Suck if the Maf pegged.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Baker, don't you think your lean issue is more attributed to the 2.8 rr swap rather than the 4 core intercooler? The Procharger intercoolers aren't that restrictive. Do you have any before and after IAT's. I'd be interested to see how much cooler they are.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
see, Ive had the 8 rib and 2.8 on there prior to the intercooler swap and although there were lean conditions, they were not too much. After the other goods, it has leaned out alot. Before, it only started going lean up high in the rpms.

Yeah shaun.... that 543rwhp was at 5400 or so rpms but the slip started at 4900rpms. I dont really care what it ends up putting down but just wanna get close to 600rwhp. Thats just a good number. lol Im going to set a date with the tuner real soon and get it done.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
btw.... im rocking another brand new cobra bumper and ho fibertrends 2.5 cowl now... ill get some pics when it rolls out the paint booth. ;)

·
Registered
11,469 Posts
No ****? You gained that much from swaping intercoolers on less boost and less timing?

What were the 2 intercoolers used in this experiment?
my first setup was a cx racing 31x12x3 ic with a vortech v3 si rocking a 2.87 pulley and a extreamly tight gater back belt, i cut the stop off the tensoner and installed the tensoner almost touched the water pump pulley. that combo made boost real quick up to 12 psi but after that the boost had a real slow creap to 14#. car put down 450 rwhp with a big shot of meth, 19 degrees timing and 11.8 af. pissed i went home and looked over my entire car. could not think of any mistakes, plus my car was running good. just for shits i looked up the spec's on the cfm flow of the cx 3 core ic and it was to low for how much i was pushing threw it. i called cx racing directly and order the 4 core ic, along with a rr 3.0 pulley. the next week i was back on the dyno and put down 515 rwhp with 16 degrees timing and 11.8 af. i pegged my maf out at 5000 rpms so we quit early so i could swap out my 90mm lightning maf with a mafia for a lightning 80mm maf since my maf was shoved in a 3" housing. even on the retune i still pegged the maf out at 5500 rpm's but i still squeezed out a pull of 538 rwhp at the same timing and boost, just more rpms. that car is going back to the dyno in a couple of weeks with a sct ba5000 so im excited to see how it does.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Baker, if you would have listened to me I would have data logged that thing for you. That is the way to really tell what is going on.

·
Registered
16,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Lets do it my dude! I can datalog it. If you just tell me what to select, I can get it and if you dont mind, we could look over it and see where the issue is. I forgot all bout you knowing bout all that. Its just acting "wierd". Pulls hard as a M'ther but just wierd a/f **** going on.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Baker,
If you remember, you have to get A WIDEBAND HOOKED UP TO YOUR XCAL then datalog the following to get started:

Analog 1 BATTERY_VOLTS coolant_temp DES_IDLE_RPM fp_duty_cycle fuel_rail_pr_psi intake_air_tem ISC_DUTY_CYCLE ISC_INTEGRATOR load lt_fuel_trim_b1 lt_fuel_trim_b2 MAF_AD_COUNTS open_loop_flag PULSEWIDTH_B1 PULSEWIDTH_B1 rpm short_term_b1 short_term_b2 spark thrt_pos_absol TP_ADCNT_CLTHRT vehicle_speed

Let me know when you are ready to log and I'll tell you what I need to see.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts