Modded Mustang Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im trying to put an intercooler into my 89 LX, I think at the moment I could fit it without having my A/C condensor - But its probably 2 inch's shy with the condensor. Any idea's from people that have done this before?

The only thing I can think of is grinding down that lip inside the bumper and keep grinding away until it fits...

It's about 24" wide, 12 inch's high, and 4 inch's wide.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, I just pieced together my own stuff from various vendors....

Why do I even need that loop? for cooling?

How big is your intercooler ?

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
lol thats a cute CX ebay intercooler.. lol get some aluminum from Home Crepo and build you some backets... took me 30 minutes and grandpas drill for my CX racing intercooler.. which looks JUST like yours!

·
Registered
204 Posts
When I put ours in they said no trimming was needed and it was a few guys that done it and said the same but I had to trim the bumper cover at the ends at the lower opening and I also trimmed the head light mount panel I have No A/C so that was not a issue and I also have no P/S so no loop to worry about. our cooler is 3in thick it looks like yours

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
lol thats a cute CX ebay intercooler.. lol get some aluminum from Home Crepo and build you some backets... took me 30 minutes and grandpas drill for my CX racing intercooler.. which looks JUST like yours!
Yeah, Im figuring that the stock mounting they provide just isn't going to work.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
When I put ours in they said no trimming was needed and it was a few guys that done it and said the same but I had to trim the bumper cover at the ends at the lower opening and I also trimmed the head light mount panel I have No A/C so that was not a issue and I also have no P/S so no loop to worry about. our cooler is 3in thick it looks like yours
Mine is 4", I should have stuck with 3".

Do you have enough room in yours to fit a 2.5" condenser if you had one?

This might get ugly on the bumper, Or I might be getting rid of my A/C :(

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Yeah, Im figuring that the stock mounting they provide just isn't going to work.
i dont know why they put the mounting lugs there... makes no sense.. unless you have a truck lol

·
Registered
204 Posts

dont think I could run A/C at all I do have a big trans cooler but I dont think a/c would work .

·
Registered
204 Posts
for the upper mounts I ran a strap of aluminum and bent it in a 90 then bolted it to the top of the cooler and bolted the tops to the to the core support and on the lower I had some 90 angle steel and bolted it to the lower and then to the core also I even used factory mont holes on the lower.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts

A 4" with a ac condenser sounds like an over heating issue to me.. that's a thick intercooler. Mine's 3" and have a 3 row frpp radiator with a taurus fan and am having to switch to another fan to help with the cooling.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A 4" with a ac condenser sounds like an over heating issue to me.. that's a thick intercooler. Mine's 3" and have a 3 row frpp radiator with a taurus fan and am having to switch to another fan to help with the cooling.
Do you have A/C though?

I live in Nevada, so it's going to be hot - More heat, and more need for A/C :)

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
+1 Have the same cooling problems. 3" with a big Griffen rad.

·
Banned
3,385 Posts
Do you have A/C though?

I live in Nevada, so it's going to be hot - More heat, and more need for A/C :)
No I did away with the ac because of the intercooler and plus I never really used it. I was saying im having cooling issues with a 3" ic and no ac condenser so your really going to be having fun with your setup :eek:

Gt's tend to have more room behind them with less cutting but pretty sure with an lx you'll have to hack up the bumper cover.. here's a pic of mine behind my bumper http://i38.tinypic.com/29qjfq8.jpg

+1 Have the same cooling problems. 3" with a big Griffen rad.
Yeah this **** sucks balls... im going to throw a cobra pulley on it and a lincoln efan and see how bad it is

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I did away with the ac because of the intercooler and plus I never really used it. I was saying im having cooling issues with a 3" ic and no ac condenser so your really going to be having fun with your setup :eek:

Crap, It looks Like im going to be losing my A/C.

I was thinking there would be some special way to keep it all.

I didn't realize I was going to have cooling issues. When you swapped to a cobra pulley does it increase the water flow?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.