Modded Mustang Forums banner

Intercooler reservoir in battery location?

4K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  stanglifemike 
#1 ·
I know I've seen these before but just searched and couldnt find it. It is designed to go sit in the battery's factory location. Any help? Also, anyone using one of these have proven lower IAT's? Thanks

#5 ·
oh I see. I read and artical in a mustang mag last month(forget which one) and they tested one(trunk mounted) on a procharger and had good results, the charge temp was lower than room temp.

#6 ·
I have considered the trunk mount too, just not as much as the battery location. Either way though, something has to go to the trunk.....Anyone know of a good trunk mount for the spare tire location?

#7 ·
Contact ST Motorsports and they can build you the tank mount intercooler res. tank. It's really the way to go in my opinion. They can hold much more ice and the weight goes in the rear which is another plus. Not to mention you can run a petcock/hose to underneath the car to drain the tank which is another plus. They've built quite a few set-ups like this and they look great. Adam was taking a while to make them for people though. I'm sure you could find someone locally to build one though.

I really want to do it and than a lightweight Braille battery mounted up front. Those batteries weigh like 11 lbs and the OEM battery location is already pretty good since it's behind the front wheels. Moving the battery to the rear is kind of a pain in the ass since you're going to have to run all of that wire which is going to weigh more. Not to mention you've got to run a shut off switch, which is flat out ugly, if you want to run in any races that comply with NMRA or NHRA rules.

#8 ·
Yea, but with the trunk mount intercooler I have to run 2 hoses front the front bumper to the rear(almost). I might check into some local welding shops and see what they would charge to build me one. I wonder if the 03-04 Cobra water/intercooler pump will be up for the challenge though?

#12 ·
reserviors can be had for cheap at places like CX racing and a few others... PM for a good hookup

battery belongs in the back, all there is too it.

u running the stop A/W unit that came with the kit?..

I personally think using engine coolant is STUPID in an A/W, they need a dedicated tank, pump and relay circuit..

#13 ·
Mine has a dedicated pump, tank, and circiut. It is not the stock unit. I have the Afco GT500 heat exchanger. Will definately pm you for a price when I'm ready. Doin my research right now.

#14 ·
They do have a dedicated tank, pump, and circuit. It's coolant, but not engine coolant. Separate system all together.

#15 ·
Glenn had me fab in his Moroso which is supposed to be a battery tray version. Since his KB leaves the driver side open, I locatied it there.

Not sure of AIT changes as his was a replacement of the existing plastic KB tank. I'm not sure he has iced his down at all either.

Here's the thread with his pics.. Location certainly won't work for you - I know this.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/2005/113133-new-moroso-intercooler-tank.html

#21 ·
Mike just make sure both the inlet and outlet are on the side like the Canton one. I have the older style "Cobra" one and the inlet is on the back close to the firewall and mine has to make 2-90 degree turns right before the tank. The new Canton one is designed for our cars and the inlet and outlet are both on the side closest to the motor.

#23 ·
The more I've been thinking about it I think I may go with the spare tire mount and keep the battery where it is. You guys think the 03-04 Cobra pump will be up for pumping water to the trunk though?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.