Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys!

I've recently bought my first mustang :D ( 2003 3.8 V6) and i'm having this weird issue when i installed an amplifier and subwoofer to the existing mach 460 sound system using a guide on the web.
I did exactly as the guide said i should do but something is seriously wrong :/ cause whenever i put my subwoofer inside the trunk, it starts humming really loud...

Things i have found out:

- The hum dissappears when i lower the gain on the amplifier to a certain point (but then i dont have enough bass playing from my sub). If the gain exceeds that point then the hum will be very weak at first but it builds up into this massive Godzilla-Hum
- It plays totally fine when the subwoofer is outside the car
- I noticed that when i hit something around the trunk area ( rear seats, trunk mat...) my sub reacts to that and "hits" whenever a loud sound is nearby the trunk area. Its almost as if there was a microphone somewhere...
- The hum comes faster if i point the subwoofers front towards the passenger seats than if i point it towards the back of the car.
- It's not only low frequency hum, since i tried using the LPF, FULL, HPF filters on the amplifier so it seems the hum covers the entire spectrum...
- No difference if the car is started or not.

Things I've tried:

- Grounding the amplifier both to the chassis and the battery since i read about ground loops so i tried to ground everything to one point. No result.
- Used both shielded and "regular" rca cables. No difference...
- I even tried the same setups without the LOC. No result

From my logic it seems that the subwoofer itself is maybe producing too much magnetic interference?

I dont know... I've been in the garage these last couple of days until 1-2 am trying to find out what/where the problem might be but with absolutely no results :(

So what do you guys think? Ground loop? Mains hum? something completely random?
Oh i would also like to add that this is not my first time installing a subwoofer and amplifier. I've done it maybe 6-7 times so i do know the basics of it all :) But no one is perfect so there might be something i havent thought about :D

·
LORD ZERO VENOM SUPREMACY
917 Posts
Check that power wire is not near the rca wires and also check rca connectors and check wires at the amp but that's all i would think from my experience also check your antenna wire sounds weird but my friend had almost same problem and it was hits antenna he said i don't know how just adding thoughts:confused: also check where you grounded your wire that might interfere or check the wire terminals on the sub box and check the wiring in the sub box just incase you haven't my 2cents

Sent with full 3g and 4g and no signal

·
Registered
415 Posts
Sounds like the audio signal on the amp make sure that what ever and how ever u got the amp hooked up there is good conextrion in the RCA part u got different hz of sound waves somehow going inside ur amp

1 - 3 of 3 Posts