Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Noob
828 Posts
A drain plug lol. Other than holding a lot more fluid.

·
Bob The Mo'fukkin Builda!
10,234 Posts
if you're going to change your diff cover make sure you get one that has the load bolts in it to keep the bearing caps from moving. just a little more insurance to keeping your rearend together.

this is the FRPP version, but there are many others that are cheaper
Ford Racing Mustang Axle Girdle -- M-4033-G2

·
KILLER
1,722 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if you're going to change your diff cover make sure you get one that has the load bolts in it to keep the bearing caps from moving. just a little more insurance to keeping your rearend together.

I have no idea what all that means, but Ill take your advise on it. I like the FRPP one. I'll do some more research so I can better understand what the cover does.

·
10,234 Posts
just look up the installation how to and it will probably help you. basically the bolts in the cover will tighten against the differencial bearing caps. this will make it so the bearing can't move under hard launches

·
Registered
354 Posts

·
10,234 Posts
only reason i didn't post that one is because their site doesn't explain what the bolts are there for.

·
Registered
354 Posts
only reason i didn't post that one is because their site doesn't explain what the bolts are there for.
Gotcha, just found a lower price is all.

·
Mechanical Engineer
410 Posts
if all you wanted was a drain plug, you could just drill a hole, weld a weld-olet on and put a plug in that.

for strength, go with the Ford Racing Cover.

·
FBGM
6,177 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, It just seems like alot of work, and I have the tools to do that mod but I would rather just get a ford racing one and modify that.

·
10,234 Posts
Thats what I was thinking, It just seems like alot of work, and I have the tools to do that mod but I would rather just get a ford racing one and modify that.
what would you modify on the frpp cover. it already has drain/fill plugs and the support bolts.

·
Premium Member
4,253 Posts

What he said.

Cliff's notes:

If you are drag racing, launching hard, and stressing your rear diff, an upgraded cover is:

1) Stronger
2) Holds more fluid (better cooling)
3) Has bolts that help keep the diff bearings and shims right where they should be so they cannot move (and fail).

·
Registered
872 Posts
Anybody know which covers will fit with an aftermarket PH bar? I know some will not, and require a relo bracket.

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
Anybody know which covers will fit with an aftermarket PH bar? I know some will not, and require a relo bracket.
I have the Ford Racing one with an adj. BMR bar in the stock location, no clearance issues.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Boss - I recall there being more than one FRPP unit. In fact, I'm sure there is based on the last catalog I looked at. Is yours a "low profile" unit?

·
Registered
13,628 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts