Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear end is starting to show it's age and the gears are making noises so I am looking into rebuilding it. I've decided to get an Explorer 31 spline diff and upgrade the axles to make it bullet proof, and I figured since I was going to tear it all apart I might as well look into brake upgrades. People want ridiculous amounts of money for Mach 1 rotor, caliper, bracket "kits"... $500+ :surprise:. Ford Performance still sells the conversion kit for $315, not bad, but I wanted to see what else was out there. I went to Baer's sight and stumbled upon the EradiSpeed1 Rotor Upgrade 94-04 kit. Apparently this kits includes bracket adapters and allows for a stock caliper to fit the included 13" rotors. This seems like complete over kill for the rear but it is the least expensive option at $235. I have Cobra breaks up front, so maybe it might look cool.

Just curious about other peoples thoughts or if anyone has actually used this kit.

https://baer.com/13-Rear-EradiSpeed1-Rotor-Upgrade-94-04-Ford-Mustang-2262011.html

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
I like it. I've been running Cobra fronts with GT rears for a long time. The rotors with the Cobra kit was great but the cheap rear Autozone rotors rusted way before wearing out. The rust also wore out the pads. I replace the rear pads and rotors twice while showing very little wear on the front. I replaced both with drilled slotted rotors from Speed Concepts.
1994-2004 Cobra Cross Drilled Slotted rotors/pads kit fits GT/V6, Speed Concepts

While everything works great the rear GT rotors look small. I really like the upgrade you found. Zinc coating is important to combat corrosion. The only thing that I see is some of the pictures show the rotors as vented like the Cobra rears and other pictures show them solid like the GT rears. My understanding is that the calipers are the same and that the Cobra's have thinner pads to compensate for the additional width of the vented rotors. Which are they? I suspect they are solid.

I went with and Explorer differential when I had 3.73 gears installed. Since it was used I had a new clutch pack installed. I bought 31 spline Strange axles. They were a perfect fit and I haven't had any problems since. After you beef the rear end up the weak link becomes the manual transmission input shaft. I was going to change that if I needed to have my T45 transmission rebuilt but the car has 210,000 miles on it (the last 130,000 supercharged) and the transmission is fine.

·
Registered
926 Posts
interesting kit for sure, I also have thought that the rear GT brakes look small when you have cobra's up front. However would a larger, still non-vented (can't tell if they are or aren't) rotor with the same GT caliper and pad size be any benefit over regular GT brakes? Also where would get you replacement rotors when these wear out?

again i like the idea but just adding my 2 cents lol

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While everything works great the rear GT rotors look small. I really like the upgrade you found. Zinc coating is important to combat corrosion. The only thing that I see is some of the pictures show the rotors as vented like the Cobra rears and other pictures show them solid like the GT rears. My understanding is that the calipers are the same and that the Cobra's have thinner pads to compensate for the additional width of the vented rotors. Which are they? I suspect they are solid.

I went with and Explorer differential when I had 3.73 gears installed. Since it was used I had a new clutch pack installed. I bought 31 spline Strange axles. They were a perfect fit and I haven't had any problems since. After you beef the rear end up the weak link becomes the manual transmission input shaft. I was going to change that if I needed to have my T45 transmission rebuilt but the car has 210,000 miles on it (the last 130,000 supercharged) and the transmission is fine.
They are probably solid considering this is for a v6/GT. The non-product pictures just look like generic rotors. Dose the Explorer diff have carbon fiber clutch packs like the Cobra? I'll be upgrading if not.

interesting kit for sure, I also have thought that the rear GT brakes look small when you have cobra's up front. However would a larger, still non-vented (can't tell if they are or aren't) rotor with the same GT caliper and pad size be any benefit over regular GT brakes? Also where would get you replacement rotors when these wear out?

again i like the idea but just adding my 2 cents lol
A larger diameter rotor will improve braking performance, but the rear is only like 20-30% of your braking power so probably not very much. I do know the venting is purely for cooling so it can improve performance under constant/hard braking but probably not much on the street.

I was looking into new brakes too because my current hardware needs some TLC so I'm replacing it all anyway. I think I'll give it a try as long as they have replacement rotors. I don't feel like buying a new kit just for new rotors.

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
They are probably solid considering this is for a v6/GT. The non-product pictures just look like generic rotors. Dose the Explorer diff have carbon fiber clutch packs like the Cobra? I'll be upgrading if not.
The clutch pack is not carbon fiber. I probably should have gone that way but I didn't.

A larger diameter rotor will improve braking performance, but the rear is only like 20-30% of your braking power so probably not very much. I do know the venting is purely for cooling so it can improve performance under constant/hard braking but probably not much on the street.
I went with the 13" Cobra brakes upgrade on the front for increased braking performance. At the time Ford sold an upgrade kit. I went with drilled, slotted rotors for looks and because I was very tired of replacing the rear pads and rotors because of rust.

·
Registered
3 Posts
That Baer kit looks like a good upgrade, but it would end up being a slightly bigger rotor than the front, so may give you a weird look. Looks like that is a solid disk, so you would get more braking torque but the cooling would not be much of an advantage over stock (if that matters). The biggest concerns I would have are 1) Buying replacement rotors if needed (cost/availability) and 2) Matching the front rotors visually (color and dimple/slot pattern).

I put Cobra brakes on my old fox, and currently have Cobra brakes on my 01 Cobra (right? LOL) I think that gives a great visual and great street performance.

That upgrade kit for $315 is a great deal given it has the anti-moan brackets, end plates and dust shields. The only thing you would need would be rear pads. The Cobra pads are the same as the GT, but have a thinner pad material thickness to clear the thicker vented rotor.

Given you would have wider replacement disk and pad options, I would tend to lean towards the Cobra package.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I keep forgetting to call Baer and ask them about replacement rotors. If these rotors are generic or from another car and are easily available then I'm going to get the kit. If not, and I have to buy the kit just to get new rotors then I'll get the Ford kit. I'm not a fan of drilled/slotted rotors because, with my car, as the rotors got older it would cause vibration in the pedal. It wasn't because the rotor was warping, that's a different feeling in the pedal. I could feel all the slots and holes, and it didn't inspire confidence. So I'll get the blank rotors if I get the Baer kit

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I called Baer and they do sell the rotors separately. The customer service agent on the phone said they were working on a new site and not everything is currently on the site.

Part numbers:
Left rotor - 6910800 - MSRP $95
Right rotor - 6920800 - MSRP $95

These part numbers can be used at pretty much any auto parts store or you can get them directly from Baer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts