Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem. When I installed the new comp cam shaft and new timing chain and sprockets on my 98 3.8L there is so much resistance on the cam from turning I can barely crank the engine. Is there some kind of spacer I need to install? What am I missing here?

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I have a problem. When I installed the new comp cam shaft and new timing chain and sprockets on my 98 3.8L there is so much resistance on the cam from turning I can barely crank the engine. Is there some kind of spacer I need to install? What am I missing here?
At least on the 99 Mustang, which I have, there is a spacer on the end of the cam under the thrust plate. It may have to be transferred from the old cam to the new one. It appears to be pressed on.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmm...

Is there any way you could show me what you are talking about a diagram picture or something? I'm not sure if my model has that or not. Thanks for the response.

·
Banned
15,799 Posts
yes. let me see if i have a picture of it

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Look at Fig. 4 in the following link. It shows the arrangement of the timing gears.

http://www.babcox.com/editorial/ar/ar90134.htm

The spacer is on the cam snout behind the thrust plate. I think this spacer would only effect the end play of the cam shaft.

Also be sure the balance shaft gear is the right way around. There is a timing mark on the side that faces away from the engine.

I have a post from a week or so ago that shows pictures of my engine rebuild. It has a picture of the balance shaft gears.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts