Modded Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone have experience painting their interior. I wanted to use the spray cans that LMR sells to paint my interior black Can i pull the dash out easily or would I be able to newpaper the windshield and spray

---------- Post added at 02:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:21 PM ----------

Oh yeah and an add on question without starting another thread. How can i tell what gears are installed in the car without cracking the case open

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I don't know about interior paint...

But given what you posted so far I'd bet you have stock gears which are 3.27s.

I went from stock to 4.10s and it made the biggest difference in torque. Get ready to love 5th gear and find 1st almost useless if you swap.

Take a look at this chart and go 65 mph. Match rpms to your tranny.
Tranny sticker code found on driver side door sticker.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-gear-ratio-to-rpm-chart.html

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
I don't know about interior paint...

But given what you posted so far I'd bet you have stock gears which are 3.27s.

I went from stock to 4.10s and it made the biggest difference in torque. Get ready to love 5th gear and find 1st almost useless if you swap.

Take a look at this chart and go 65 mph. Match rpms to your tranny.
Tranny sticker code found on driver side door sticker.

https://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-gear-ratio-to-rpm-chart.html
Check this thread.

https://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/threads/whats-the-stock-gear-ratio-on-a-04-gt.464281/

·
US Air Force (retired)
13,542 Posts
The only sure way to tell the gear ratio without taking the rear end apart is to chock the front tires, put the car in neutral and jack the rear end off the ground. Place a chalk line on the drive shaft. Using the valve stem as an indicator turn the real wheel one complete turn. If the driveshaft goes around three and one-quarter times you have stock 3.27 gears. Three and one-half times is 3.55 gears. Three and three-quarter times is 3.73 gears and a little over four times is 4.10 gears.

Many times people have tired tried comparing speed with the tach. That only works if in fourth gear (or drive in an automatic) where the 1.0:1 gear ratio is the same on all 99-04s and if the speedometer is correct. Meaning that it has been calibrated for gears and tire size. If the speedometer hasn't been recalibrated then gears will make the speed off by a certain percent. For example, 3.73s have to spin the driveshaft 14% further to get one complete turn of the wheel so the speedometer will show the car as traveling 14% faster than it really is. At 30 mph it will read 34.2. At 60 mph the difference is greater. It will read 68.4. But the percentage difference is the same.

I noticed that my speedometer was off 7 mph when running 55 so I thought I had 3.73 gears. So we recalibrated my speedometer. but it made my odometer off according to the highway signs. Trying to troubleshoot the problem I eventually jacked the car up and discovered I actually had stock 3.27 gears so we recalibrated the speedometer again. Now the speedometer was off 7 mph but I noticed that it was off 7 mph at all speeds. It wasn't a percentage it was a constant 7 mph.

The previous owner had put a gauge overlay on the car. To do that you have to pull the needles off all the gauges. He got the needles on all of them correct except the speedometer. The speedometer needle doesn't more until you are going 7 mph. To get the speedometer needle back on correctly the wheels have to be turning.

I pulled the needle of the speedometer. Put the odometer in digital speedometer mode. Jacked up the rear tires. Started the car and drove it (on jack stands) to 30 mph according to the digital speedometer and put the needle on. I got it withing a 1/2 mph the first time so I buttoned everything back up. Problem solved. Later I had to recalibrate my speedometer again when I had 3.73 gears installed but that time everything worked correctly.

Here is instructions on how to make the odometer a digital speedometer.
BULLITT Archive Mustang Instrument Test Mode

·
Super Moderator
13,581 Posts
I painted a few of m interior panels about 10 years ago and they are still in great shape.. I used plastic paint after I rubbed the parts down with acetone. I knew i was going to get good adhesion when the acetone was pulling out some of the factory dye.

·
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?
5,218 Posts
The only sure way to tell the gear ratio without taking the rear end apart is to chock the front tires, put the car in neutral and jack the rear end off the ground. Place a chalk line on the drive shaft. Using the valve stem as an indicator turn the real wheel one complete turn. If the driveshaft goes around three and one-quarter times you have stock 3.27 gears. Three and one-half times is 3.55 gears. Three and three-quarter times is 3.73 gears and a little over four times is 4.10 gears.

Many times people have tired tried comparing speed with the tach. That only works if in fourth gear (or drive in an automatic) where the 1.0:1 gear ratio is the same on all 99-04s and if the speedometer is correct. Meaning that it has been calibrated for gears and tire size. If the speedometer hasn't been recalibrated then gears will make the speed off by a certain percent. For example, 3.73s have to spin the driveshaft 14% further to get one complete turn of the wheel so the speedometer will show the car as traveling 14% faster than it really is. At 30 mph it will read 34.2. At 60 mph the difference is greater. It will read 68.4. But the percentage difference is the same.

I noticed that my speedometer was off 7 mph when running 55 so I thought I had 3.73 gears. So we recalibrated my speedometer. but it made my odometer off according to the highway signs. Trying to troubleshoot the problem I eventually jacked the car up and discovered I actually had stock 3.27 gears so we recalibrated the speedometer again. Now the speedometer was off 7 mph but I noticed that it was off 7 mph at all speeds. It wasn't a percentage it was a constant 7 mph.

The previous owner had put a gauge overlay on the car. To do that you have to pull the needles off all the gauges. He got the needles on all of them correct except the speedometer. The speedometer needle doesn't more until you are going 7 mph. To get the speedometer needle back on correctly the wheels have to be turning.

I pulled the needle of the speedometer. Put the odometer in digital speedometer mode. Jacked up the rear tires. Started the car and drove it (on jack stands) to 30 mph according to the digital speedometer and put the needle on. I got it withing a 1/2 mph the first time so I buttoned everything back up. Problem solved. Later I had to recalibrate my speedometer again when I had 3.73 gears installed but that time everything worked correctly.

Here is instructions on how to make the odometer a digital speedometer.
BULLITT Archive Mustang Instrument Test Mode
Even better idea. Nice eagle!

Ever since I got 4.10 gears my car lives in the high rpms. I can't help it. First gear is almost useless. I couldn't imagine it with boost.

·
Registered
381 Posts
I've used the LMR interior paint. It works really well and has lasted a couple years. Clean and prep the plastic thoroughly especially on high use areas otherwise it won't come out very well. I just painted a little on the door and center console to break up the grey blandness.

·
Registered
982 Posts
My car is a 99 Electric Green GT that had a very ugly ”tanish” interior.

I painted the whole thing...

Every single piece, put in new carpet and made my own headliner.

It was done with Color Bond. Most pieces have held up very well but some are easily scratched through the paint. The car has several different plastics in the interior paneling so the method of prep that worked for most did not work for all.

I hit the hard plastic pieces with a torch to raise the oils used as a release agent in the molding process to the surface then washed with acetone, then 99.9% alcohol.

The dash was washed with both solvents and primed then painted same with the other soft pieces and the wrapped vinyl on the door panels.

All in all I love how it turned out but since every peice has been painted I’m always paranoid about it getting scratched and it’s just not as durable as needed in a vehicle that people get in and out of.

I posted a thread with some pics awhile back I can try to find it.

Here we go.

http://www.moddedmustangs.com/forum...yshot-s-99-gt-builds-projects.html?highlight=

·
Need more wallet filler
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Did you pull your dash or painted it in the car?

·
Registered
982 Posts
I painted it in the car, there are pictures in the tread. You will not get very good coverage in the defrost vents without pulling them and I had no luck getting them out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts